Friday, October 23, 2015

Be Alert For Wildlife In The Roadway

deer in the roadThe New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) and the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) are urging motorists to be alert for moose, deer, and other wildlife on the roads.

Fall is the peak time for wildlife activity in northern New York. Additionally, two-thirds of all deer and vehicle collisions occur during October, November, and December, when deer breed and travel the most.

Moose and deer are most active at dawn and dusk, which are times of poor visibility and usually when there are more motorists on the roads. Moose are much larger and taller than deer, so their bodies cause greater damage to vehicles, increasing the likelihood of injuries or even deaths. They are especially difficult to see at night because of their dark coloring.

Motorists should take the following precautions to prevent deer and moose vehicle collisions:

• Use extreme caution when driving at dawn or dusk.
  • Reduce your speed, stay alert, and watch the road sides.
  • Slow down when approaching moose and deer standing near the roadside, as they may bolt at the last minute when a car comes closer, often running into the road.
  • Be aware that more than one animal may be nearby. Moose and deer sometimes travel in pairs or small groups.
  • Make sure all vehicle occupants wear seatbelts and children are properly restrained in child safety seats.
  • Use flashers or a headlight signal to warn other drivers when moose or deer are spotted near the road.

Brake firmly but do not swerve if encountering moose or deer. Swerving can cause a collision with another vehicle, a tree, a pole, or other objects. If a deer or bear is hit and killed by a motor vehicle, the owner or consignee can request a possession tag from the investigative police officer to legally possess the carcass.

More information about moose and deer can be found on DEC’s website.

Editorial Staff

Stories written under the Almanack's Editorial Staff byline are drawn from press releases and other notices.

To have your news noticed here at the Almanack contact our Editor John Warren at adkalmanack@gmail.com.

1. Charlie S says:

“Be Alert For Wildlife In The Roadway.”

The things I have witnessed relative to the title of this piece! I have concluded that,in general, american drivers are dazed and confused as they race down roadways to wherever it is they go. All of the dead animals on the roadways is proof of this.

A month or so ago I came upon a baby woodchuck in the middle of a 30 mph road. It was jerking,madly kicking its legs….it was in its last throes of life. It was just hit by the driver in front of me who kept going. The driver didn’t see this woodchuck.Or saw it and payed it no mind. Either way it ought to be against the law driving while blind. I stopped and went up to this immature chuck to find it a bloody mess. I picked it up and as I was walking to my car it suddenly stopped jerking and became limp. I took it home and buried it. Usually they’re already dead by the time I come upon them in the roads…woodchucks, squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, turtles, fox, hawks, deer….

This one really got to me! Tears welled up and once again my hard feelings towards this society were revived. I’ll be the first to fess up….I am not proud to be an american! I

FWIW, Germany was one of the last countries to install cup-holders and radios in their cars. Driving was always considered a privilege and the user of a motor vehicle was always to be in top form and paying 100% attention. They still follow the motor vehicle laws there quite closely, or you lose your license. But then it isn’t “The land of the free”.

• JohnL says:

I guess Boreas would rather live in Germany. Since you’re not proud to be an American (Charlie S), what country would you be proud to be from? Follow up question. Would you consider moving there if we could scrape up the cash for your travel?

JohnL, said, “I guess Boreas would rather live in Germany.”

Don’t know where you got that idea, but I do prefer their sensible driving practices.

• Paul says:

Charlie, This is similar to your injured turtle story a while back. Haven’t you ever considered putting these injured animals out of their misery? I personally can’t leave an animal to summer if I can euthanize it.

As far as burying them – It is probably better to throw them off the road an let the other animals get some benefit from the incident via an easy meal.

Also, the reason we have so many deer getting hit on the road is because humans have created an ideal habitat for them with certain types of development and their numbers have soared in certain places.

2. Charlie S says:

You are bothered by my frankness JohnL and you’re sarcasm wreaks! You must be a Tory.What would make you think I wish to leave this country? Because i’m not afraid to fess up and admit I am ashamed to be a part of this society? While I am very much aware of the countless good things and good people in this country (are you?) it is the other end of the spectrum that bothers me JohnL. I suppose if I didn’t have a conscience nothing would bother me…. I’d be like a big chunk of this society i’d always have a smile on my face i’d always be talking about trivial things. Sometimes I wonder “How can so many people be so happy what with all of the #!*t going on?” I truly believe it is because ignorance is bliss,and lord knows there’s plenty of that going around…ignorance that is.

I ‘am not’ proud JohnL Pride is the quality of being vain.I suppose,in a sense,I can say I am proud that I am not vain. If you wish I can send off a list of the things that have me in this space,this unproud space. Meanwhile you can send us a list of the things that you are so proud about. Maybe I’m missing something here!
    Meanwhile I’m not moving I’m gonna stick around and speak my mind to the very end. Freedom to express is what this country is all about. Or should be! If you wish to scrape up cash for my travel I’d be more than happy to take you up on the offer….maybe I’ll take a road trip to Vermont.

3. JohnL says:

I’m not bothered at all by your ‘frankness’ Charie. I do have a question though. If you’re aware of all the ‘countless good things and good people’ in this country, why don’t you ever say anything positive about ANYTHING. I’m sorry your conscience won’t let you be happy. Actually, when you said that (not proud…etc), it made me think of our First Lady who (in reverse) said exactly the same thing.
    You’re right, I can’t hide my sarcasm. I don’t want to either.
    Tory?? Not sure what a reference to Britain’s political system is doing in your letter. Politically, I’m surprise, surprise….an Independent.
    I’m proud to be an American, Charlie. Do we as a country have our faults? Sure. Do we do more collective good in the world for more people, than any other country in the world? ABSOLUTELY. To steal a phrase from the Climate Change crew….that’s absolutely settled science.
    Glad to hear you’re staying here. I’d miss your arrogance, complaining, and whining about almost any subject posted on this site. Hang in there pal!

4. Charlie S says:

JohnL. says to Charlie S: You say, “If you’re aware of all the countless good things and good people in this country,why don’t you say anything positive about ANYTHING.

In that one line you contradict what I said JohnL.Read it close! And to suggest I’m not happy because of the mere parcel of me that comes out on this list is to imply a falsehood as I am generally a happy camper. Truly I am! I have no reason not to be. I’m generally in good health, I’m paying my bills, I have a roof over my head, I’m good to others, I respect all living things. A charitable disposition flows naturally out of me. I don’t toss and turn at night because of a guilty conscience due to my actions (or inactions) during my waking hours. I have a conscience! I am a creator not a destroyer which I feel good about. Generally I like me I am comfortable in my own skin.

I say I’m not proud to be a part of this society (for just reasons) and that offended you JohnL.You suggested I leave the country if I don’t like it here. That same stale line was put forth over and over again for those eight horrible years that GWB (aka the idiot) was terrorizing the world,which we’re still paying for by the way. Smart people expressing their disapproval, their shock their disbelief…and being told to leave the country if they don’t like it. It is beyond me the arrogance and the ignorance!

You say “it’s absolutely settled science that we do more collective good in the world for more people than any other country in the world?”

Yeah but we’re stupid JohnL. We get attacked by religious zealot kooks from Afghanistan on 9-11 and then take it out on iraqi’s who were no threat to us and had nothing to do with it, killed possibly a million of their people (just to get to one man) due to our bombs and the violence afterwards from insurgents that gained a foothold thanks to us. Most of those million dead Iraqi people were women and children JohnL. Look at the mess WE created in that part of the world! And the people that supported all of that from the getgo….. pure numbskulls (to put it mildly),nothing less. A good chunk of that bloodshed going on over there in that part of the world is American made JohnL. Deny it all you want but the truth has prevailed the world knows it.

You’re proud to be a part of this society i’m not. Divided we stand. Sobeit.
    Proud! The word irritates me! And if anyone wonders what any of this might just possibly have to do with the Adirondacks………………think about it. We rant and rave about how our little communities are suffering,need a financial boost,etc. We have no money.No money for education. No money for the arts.No money for infrastructure. No money for social programs. No money for all the things that are good for this society,to keep things flowing in a positive vein……. This country has been going broke ever since we decided to torture harmless Iraq. Coincidence? I think not!

5. JohnL says:

Guess we’re going to have to agree to disagree on a number of things. The political issues are subjects for another discussion in some other forum. I am, however, glad to hear that you’re basically happy. I am too. Nice chatting with you!

6. Charlie S says:

I get on a roll JohnL. I hope you realize I have no ill will towards you or anyone on this site because we disagree. My words are just words coming out loudly,me expressing myself imperfectly. I have passions and they come out. In person I am a reasonable man,kind,fair,understanding. Politics affects just about every aspect of our lives and I know some people are purist and want to stick with the routine and forget about things but I appreciate that Mr. Warren doesn’t suppress us from letting loose…so long as we stay civil,which I think I do. I detect the sincerity in your response and I hope you pick that up in mine.

7. JohnL says:

Passion is a good thing Charlie. Be assured I have no ill will towards you or anyone who express opinions counter to mine. That’s one of the great things about this country, i.e. there’s room for all opinions. JL

8. Todd Eastman says: