Saturday, September 3, 2016

Alexander Hamilton Exhibit at Fort Ticonderoga

alexander hamilton swordFort Ticonderoga is now displaying a new exhibition, featuring rare Alexander Hamilton objects associated with this popular American revolutionary and later Secretary of the Treasury.

Fort Ticonderoga’s museum collections contain a number of pieces owned by Hamilton from his career as a young soldier in the Revolution through his brief tenure as the highest ranking officer in the US Army. The Hamilton exhibit will be on display through October 30, 2016.

Featured items in the exhibit include a sword (1790-1800) that displays Hamilton’s name on it. Hamilton likely carried this sword in late 1799 following George Washington’s death when Hamilton was the highest ranking American military officer in the United States. Accompanying the sword is a sword knot which bears the handwritten tag inked on it “Genl A. Hamilton.” Other items on display include a mahogany writing box (1800-1810) with an engraved plate which reads “Alexander Hamilton, Yorktown, October 19 1781,” as well as an epaulet (1775-1783) made of silver, wool, linen, and silk. Epaulets were worn on the shoulder to distinguish officers from enlisted soldiers. It is unknown whether the epaulet was originally part of a pair. If not, it may date to Hamilton’s earliest service in New York in 1777.

Alexander Hamilton never visited Ticonderoga, however, his connection to the region was well established when he married Elizabeth Schuyler in 1780, the daughter of General Philip Schuyler, whose command of the Northern Department of the Continental Army included Fort Ticonderoga from 1775 to 1777.

By 1945, Schuyler Hamilton, the great-great-nephew of Alexander Hamilton, sold a number of artifacts belonging to the Schuyler and Hamilton families to the Fort Ticonderoga Museum. In addition to the new exhibit, some of Philip Schuyler’s and his daughter Angelica’s possessions are on display in the Fort Ticonderoga South Barracks exhibition space.

The Fort Ticonderoga Museum was founded in 1909. Objects that belonged to George Washington, Henry Knox, Benedict Arnold, Thaddeus Kosciuszko, Philip Schuyler and other early Americans were acquired by the museum.”

Fort Ticonderoga is open for daily visitation May through October. Click here for a full list of ongoing programs or call (518) 585-2821. Fort Ticonderoga is located at 100 Fort Ti Road, Ticonderoga.

Photo: An Alexander Hamilton Exhibition is on Display at Fort Ticonderoga through October 30, 2016. Courtesy Fort Ticonderoga.


Editorial Staff

Stories written under the Almanack's Editorial Staff byline are drawn from press releases and other notices.

To have your news noticed here at the Almanack contact our Editor John Warren at adkalmanack@gmail.com.




Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *