If any image represents early Fulton Chain history, it is the Forge House atop the elevation overlooking the pond as a king viewing his realm. When the hotel burned in 1924, prominent citizens planned to quickly rebuild it but the era of the big summer hotel had ended, replaced by smaller, shorter stay motoring hotels to cater to the automobile tourist.
Today, its location is a grassy knoll across from the Old Forge Fire Department building, down the street from the Old Forge Hardware store and behind the Forge Hotel sign. But while the Forge House existed, the traveler was given the name of an individual there who would not fail to provide necessary comforts. This narrative is about the hotel’s owners, and about the proprietors and managers who usually were not the owners. » Continue Reading.