Those who visit the Upper Works trailhead pass through the remains of the most notable ghost town in the Adirondacks. The ruined village is known by various names: Adirondac, the Deserted Village, Tahawus (mistakenly), Upper Works, McIntyre.
All of these names (some more historically valid than others) hearken back to the original settlement carved out of the wilderness more than a hundred and eighty years ago by prospectors eager to capitalize on the massive veins of iron ore to which they had been guided by Abenaki Indian Lewis Elijah Benedict in 1826.
However, the collapsing structures lining the old village street and ranging back into the woods date from a more modern era, most around the turn of the twentieth century and into the 1920’s (though the foundations of some are original to the mining village). The last of them was abandoned as recently as the 1960’s. Now the Adirondack forest is reclaiming them at its usual unrelenting pace. » Continue Reading.