The New York State Board for Historic Preservation has recommended the addition of five Adirondack and North Country properties to the State and National Registers of Historic Places, including the nationally significant War of 1812 Cantonment in Plattsburgh, and Putnam Camp in St. Huberts.
Listing these properties on the State and National Registers can assist their owners in revitalizing the structures, making them eligible for various public preservation programs and services, such as matching state grants and state and federal historic rehabilitation tax credits.
The State and National Registers are the official lists of buildings, structures, districts, landscapes, objects and sites significant in the history, architecture, archeology and culture of New York State and the nation. There are 90,000 historic buildings, structures and sites throughout the state listed on the National Register of Historic Places, individually or as components of historic districts. Property owners, municipalities and organizations from communities throughout the state sponsored the nominations.
Once the recommendations are approved by the state historic preservation officer, the properties are listed on the New York State Register of Historic Places and then nominated to the National Register of Historic Places, where they are reviewed and, once approved, entered on the National Register.
State Review Board Recommendations in the Adirondack-North Country Region
Pike’s Cantonment, Plattsburgh – is the only known surviving portion of Col. Zebulon Pike’s winter encampment of November 1812-March 1813. During the War of 1812, U.S. troops under Pike encamped here after an unsuccessful attempt to invade Canada and endured severe winter conditions before their spring invasion and subsequent burning of York (Toronto), Ontario. The nominated site has survived with a remarkable level of integrity for over two hundred years despite being surrounded by intensive development.
Putnam Camp, St. Huberts – the extremely well-preserved Adirondack summer retreat has maintained its original character since its establishment in the mid-1870s by a group of Boston intellectuals as a 19th-century wilderness destination for distinguished artists, scholars and writers.
Talichito, Schoon Lake – built in the late 1910s for a prominent executive of the Buffalo General Electric Company and largely unaltered since its completion, the camp is purposefully difficult to access in a secluded location away from the bustling resort village to capitalize on the remarkable Adirondack setting.
Big Moose Community Chapel, Eagle Bay – a distinctive and exceptionally intact example of religious architecture and the work of an Adirondack master builder Earl Covey, the 1931 church exhibits a free blending of Gothic-inspired forms combined with the local Adirondack style.
Grindstone Island Schoolhouse, Clayton – constructed in 1885, the remarkably intact school building served the residents of Grindstone Island until 1989, making it one of the last operating one-room schools in New York State.