Listing these properties on the State and National Registers can assist their owners in revitalizing the structures, making them eligible for various public preservation programs and services, such as matching state grants and state and federal historic rehabilitation tax credits.
The State and National Registers are the official lists of buildings, structures, districts, landscapes, objects and sites significant in the history, architecture, archeology and culture of New York State and the nation. There are 90,000 historic buildings, structures and sites throughout the state listed on the National Register of Historic Places, individually or as components of historic districts. Property owners, municipalities and organizations from communities throughout the state sponsored the nominations.
Once the recommendations are approved by the state historic preservation officer, the properties are listed on the New York State Register of Historic Places and then nominated to the National Register of Historic Places, where they are reviewed and, once approved, entered on the National Register.
STATE REVIEW BOARD RECOMMENDATIONS IN NORTHERN NEW YORK
Lyon Street School, Peru, Clinton County – built ca. 1881, the one-room rural schoolhouse continued to function into the 1930s, until school centralization made hundreds of schools of this type no longer necessary.
Keith & Branch Ford Motors Factory & Showroom, Upper Jay – built ca. 1920, the building was conceived and erected to accommodate the partial assembly and local sale of Ford Motors Model T automobiles and is a rare and early example of automobile-related architecture in the Adirondack region.
Brace Farm, Winfield – the farmstead, including an 1810 dairy barn and 1861 Italianate house, was originally established by the family of Revolutionary War veteran Abel Brace and has been worked by eight generations of the same family for more than two centuries.
Meetinghouse Green Road Cemetery, Winfield – the oldest cemetery in the town was established in 1801 and contains the graves of many of the town’s earliest settlers.
Delaware & Hudson Passenger Station (Lake George Railroad Station), Lake George – erected 1909-1911 as a complement to a nearby Fort William Henry Hotel, which was largely demolished in 1969, the Mediterranean Revival style station is among the last surviving features of what was a sprawling resort complex operated by Delaware & Hudson to serve a thriving tourist industry.
A complete list of nominations can be found here.
Photo: The tower of Lake George’s Delaware & Hudson Passenger Station (John Warren Photo).