The New York State Board for Historic Preservation has recommended the addition of 20 properties, resources, and districts to the State and National Registers of Historic Places. Just one of the recommendations is located in the Adirondack Park, St. James Episcopal Church in Lake George. Just five are located North of the Mohawk River.
“Survival of these noteworthy places is crucial in preserving the great diversity of New York’s communities,” said Rose Harvey, Commissioner of the Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. “Placing these landmarks on the State and National Registers of Historic Places will offer well-deserved recognition along with tools to help them last into the future.”
Listing these properties on the State and National Registers can assist their owners in revitalizing the structures, making them eligible for various public preservation programs and services, such as matching state grants and state and federal historic rehabilitation tax credits.
The State and National Registers are the official lists of buildings, structures, districts, landscapes, objects and sites significant in the history, architecture, archeology and culture of New York State and the nation. There are 90,000 historic buildings, structures and sites throughout the state listed on the National Register of Historic Places, individually or as components of historic districts. Property owners, municipalities and organizations from communities throughout the state sponsored the nominations.
Once the recommendations are approved by the state historic preservation officer, the properties are listed on the New York State Register of Historic Places and then nominated to the National Register of Historic Places, where they are reviewed and, once approved, entered on the National Register.
STATE REVIEW BOARD RECOMMENDATIONS NORTH OF THE MOHAWK RIVER
James Keith House and Brown-Morey-Davis Farm, Newport – The two properties are both notable as distinctive limestone residences, built ca. 1815, which reflect how local craftsmen took advantage of the Kuyahoora Valley’s abundant limestone to build fashionable residents as the region’s farmers prospered after the American Revolution.
Carter-Feasel House, Henrietta – Built around1866, the Carter-Feasel House is a rare example of plank construction in Monroe County. The residence was also home to two Civil War veterans, David Carter, who was wounded during the siege of Petersburg, and Florendin Feasel, a German immigrant who was extremely proud of his service to his adopted homeland and hosted several reunions of his regiment at the property.
John White House, Brockport – Built sometime after 1821 and owned by five generations of the White family, the house was enlarged to accommodate successive generation of the family and to reflect the later owner’s increased prosperity.
St. Lawrence County
Hopkinton Green Historic District, Hopkinton – The district includes the public green that Hopkinton’s founder, Roswell Hopkins, deeded to the town in 1808 “in the consideration of his good will and respect” for his fellow citizens and as well as the Town Hall, built in 1870, and the Congregational Church, built in 1892.
St. James Episcopal Church, Lake George – Built in 1866-67 to replace an edifice which collapsed during a storm, the stone church is a highly intact example of Gothic Revival ecclesiastical architecture.
A complete list of the nominations can be found at the New York History Blog.
Recent Almanack Comments