Saturday, March 22, 2014

The Eureka Tent Chronicles: Henry

Henry at the EurekaMy first marriage was a troubled one.  There were good moments but it seems that each day held pain and conflict.  The ups and downs finally led to a violent dissolution in 1992.  But for a brief time in the mid 1980’s there was hope and even some progress.  Two acquisitions, one for Christmas of 1984 and one in the following summer, marked that progress.  The summer purchase, a Eureka Wind River 4 tent, was an emblem of that progress.  The Christmas purchase, a puppy we named Henry, was the very cause.

Anyone who ever met Henry would tell you that he was an extraordinary dog.  He was half Golden Retriever, half Irish Setter and he got the best of both breeds.  As a puppy he looked indistinguishable from a purebred Golden – in other words, irresistibly adorable – but as he grew, the color, strength and stature of his father, an unusually large Setter, became his.  He eventually filled out at nearly a hundred pounds, no fat, in height nearly a head above any Golden I’d ever seen.  Physically he was simply a stunning animal, burnished red-gold, strong nose, rippling muscles under his coat, a head-turner everywhere he went.

But what was truly extraordinary about Henry was his soul.  I remain in love with him to this day – no less than that – for his beautiful spirit and companionship.  He had none of the typical high-strung nature characteristic of purebred Setters.  Rather he had a calmness, intelligence and power that recalled Jack London’s Buck to me.  He had all the warmth and loyalty for which Goldens are famous, but he was independent and almost regal.  He was, in his short life, my best friend.

There was a state park under construction north of Madison at the time.  I would take Henry there most evenings when workers left and we had it all to ourselves.  It was a rolling swath of land running along the shore of Lake Mendota, half wooded and half prairie.  Here Henry could run free, his spirit unfettered.  Always he would return to me after bounding through the grasses and into the woods beyond.  Always we would play hide and seek.  I would send him charging off and then I would run as fast as I could, reckless over the uneven ground, to plunge below a small rise or duck behind a tree.  “Henryyyyy Dog!” I would cry and he would spring into view at the signal and begin the chase.  Some times I would wait for him to go the wrong direction and I would reveal myself, sprinting the opposite way in a frantic attempt to make another spot in which to hide.  Always he would catch me.

There was only one path that had been completed, a loop through the woods.  Some times we would take that path together in evening light, hiking to a large rock at the height of the ridge.  There Henry would come into my lap and sit, with exquisite stillness, sit in the quiet of the dusk and take in the sounds and smells of the surrounding woods.  We might remain there for half an hour, motionless and content, connected to our surroundings with the kind of profundity only nature can effect.  It was a bond between us, between our deepest and wildest selves.  Henry never disturbed the bond, never broke it.  He would sit peacefully until it was time to go, utterly content to be in my lap and watch and listen and smell.

These were dark times for my wife and I.  But as Henry grew into adulthood his beautiful presence began to make a difference in our marriage.  I adored him and in those times at the park, the joyous, enthusiastic boy I once had been found new life.  My wife, so wounded and hurt by people and by the harshness of the world, found in Henry a purity of spirit and affection that all dog lovers know.  She adored him too.  In that mutual adoration we found a common hope.

My wife and I were always happiest together camping.  Our honeymoon was a backpacking trip out west, but the Adirondacks became our go-to destination.  I had grown up as a summer visitor to Blue Mountain Lake, which was my favorite place in the world.  My wife, although reluctant to embrace anything that was mine and not hers, was unable to resist the charms of that lake either and camping in or near it became a yearly desire.  We had received a two-person Camel tent as a wedding present but it was woefully inadequate against Adirondack conditions, so we bought the Eureka Wind River as an upgrade.  I decided that comfort trumped weight and we opted for the four person version, a geodesic design that even today is considered one of the best tents ever made (as attested to by the numerous on-line tributes).  We loved that tent and made regular use of it, Henry too, who tracked in mud and dirt and sticks and voluminous quantities of dog hair.

In July of 1987 we took an extended vacation to Blue Mountain Lake.  Part of the time we stayed in a small cottage and part of the time we camped.  Like all our time together the trip had its ups and downs, but our adventures together with Henry, including a dangerous mishap jumping off a rock wall in West Bay, had an effect that I had not before experienced.  We started to believe in a future, I think, and we reveled in our happiness with that dog in that tent, together in close space.  It rained hard at once point and Henry made sure the inside got its share of mud.  Wet dog smell was overwhelming.  We didn’t care.  That trip was the high point of our marriage.

In November of 1987, just three months later, while on one of our regular visits to the still-unopened state park, Henry was stuck by a car.  I will never be able to write more about it than that, except to say that only people who love dogs with all their heart could possibly understand.  It remains the most unbearable agony of my life, a life that for a time to come was going to have some incredibly painful experiences.  The moment Henry’s body stilled I knew it was the end not just of him, but of my marriage.  I refused  to accept that reality for a while but it was true, even if it took five more years and the birth of two kids before it completely destroyed itself.  I know this: we never had a purely happy day together, like those days camping as a threesome at Blue Mountain Lake, ever again.

I have no memory of the tent in those years after Henry was killed.  It was folded up and put away;  I don’t think it was used.  It ended up in my possession.

In 1993, a year after my wife and I separated, I took my two young sons to the Adirondacks.  We backpacked in the Giant Wilderness and camped at the Washbowl.  I hauled both boys, food, bags and the Wind River 4 up the steep switchbacks and past the first great overlook.

I don’t remember the details of making camp.  But there is one thing. I pitched the tent, placed the fly, unzipped the door and made ready to put pads and bags inside.  It was sunny and afternoon light streamed into the tent.  I ducked into the tent and suddenly caught my breath in a gasp.  Tears welled.  The floor of the tent was covered in Henry’s muddy paw prints.

Some may think it silly that a tent can be sacred, that it can be the subject worthy of such writing.  I know better.  No tent floor  was ever treated with more care than the floor of that Eureka from that day forward: never cleaned, just preserved.  Henry’s prints became our prized trip companions.  They lasted many years, even through repeated bouts of mucky Adirondack weather, before finally and inevitably fading away.  Which Henry’s place in my heart will never do.

Photo: Henry at the Eureka, 1987

Previous Entry          Next Entry

Related Stories

Pete Nelson is a teacher, writer, essayist and activist whose work has appeared in a variety of Adirondack publications, and regularly in the Adirondack Almanack since 2005. Pete is also a founder and current Coordinator of the Adirondack Diversity Advisory Council, which is working to make the Park more welcoming and inclusive.When not writing or teaching mathematics at North Country Community College, Pete can be found in the back country, making music or even walking on stilts, which he and his wife Amy have done professionally throughout the United States for nearly two decades.Pete is a proud resident of Keene, and along with Amy and his dog Henderson owns Lost Brook Tract, a forty-acre inholding deep in the High Peaks Wilderness.

9 Responses

  1. Mark Hanson says:

    Dear Pete,
    That is a beautiful story of a wonderful dog. I’m sure God has opened the door to Eternity for Henry and he’ll be waiting there for you.
    My wife and I have the ashes of all our dogs and our son will spread them on Little Owl’s Head Mtn. (Keene) along with our ashes when we go at a spot we choose many years ago.
    Gardez la Foi,

  2. Susan Gaffney says:

    Sandy was a Rhodesian Ridgeback without a ridge (or maybe a Ridgeback-Lab mix; we got her from the pound). She climbed more high peaks than I have, and had both cruciate ligaments repaired. She slept in our tent (on our anniversary) the night before we all climbed Skylight with our son Nick, so Dick could complete his 46. Dick says his proof for an afterlife is that he knows he will see Sandy in heaven.

    When Sandy died, the vet said: All our animals ask of us is that we give them an interesting life. Thanks for your nice story.

  3. Jay O'Hern says:

    Dear Pete,
    Your feelings for Sandy mirror my own for a beloved cat. Rascal initiated the idea for my Adirondack Characters book and unexpectedly passed away just before the manuscript was completed. I dedicated the book to him. Thank the Lord memories remain forever in our hearts and minds.

  4. Terry says:

    One of your best, Pete! It tugged at the heart-strings for a lot of us! Thanks…

  5. Brad says:

    Great story, told very well! And a companions life cut way short.

    We used to joke about finding pet fur in all of our belongings while on the road, sometimes w degree of irritation.
    Then once the animal was gone, we would exclaim w some delight at a few odd strands of fur found in the tent, in sleeping bags, gear bags…until one year it was all gone and so another little part of her passed away.

  6. Liz says:

    What a wonderful story. It brings back to mind a special cocker spaniel who would ride on the gear in the middle of the canoe looking like the Queen of the Nile. Gone but never forgotten. Thanks

  7. Very nice article. I have a chair chewed by my long gone lab. Will never get it fixed.

    Thanks for this story.

  8. Lisa says:

    This brought back many memories of time spent in the Adirondacks with 2, 3, and 4 legged family members (human, feline, and canine). I am not sure if it was the memories that brought tears to my eyes or the fact that I felt as if I had known Henry through your writing. Thank you for sharing.

  9. Dave says:

    You had me in tears here…. what a beautiful piece of writing! Thanks for sharing both the happy and the difficult… few of us are willing to risk that.

Wait! Before you go:

Catch up on all your Adirondack
news, delivered weekly to your inbox