Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Recent Adirondack Search and Rescue Incidents

The Forest Ranger Search and Rescue Report below is issued intermittently by DEC and is not a comprehensive list of all emergencies in the back-country, these are only a few of those recently reported by DEC.

The events reported below are reminders that wilderness conditions can change suddenly and accidents happen. Hikers and campers should check up-to-date forecasts before entering the backcountry and always carry a flashlight, first aid kit, map and compass, extra food, plenty of water and clothing. Be prepared to spend an unplanned night in the woods and always inform others of your itinerary.

The Adirondack Almanack reports the most current outdoor conditions on Thursday evenings.  On Friday mornings, John Warren’s reports the latest outdoor conditions on WSLP (93.3) and on the stations of North Country Public Radio.  To subscribe to the weekly conditions podcast.

Essex County

Wilmington Notch, Town of Wilmington

Lost Hikers: On September 29, 2014 at 7:35 p.m., Essex County 911 transferred a lost hiker’s cell phone call to the DEC Dispatch in Ray Brook. The 30-year-old male caller from Dannemora, NY stated he was lost with a 25-year-old female friend from Potsdam, NY off the Wilmington Notch trail. Essex County provided coordinates from the cell phone call and two DEC Forest Rangers responded. At 9:00 p.m. Rangers located both hikers in good health, escorted them back to the road and provided a courtesy ride to their vehicle at 9:15 p.m.

High Peaks Wilderness, Town of Keene

Distressed Hiker: On September 29, 2014 at 3:00 p.m., Essex County 911 transferred a caller to the DEC Dispatch in Ray Brook requesting rescue of a 19-year-old female hiker from Michigan on the summit of the Brothers in the Town of Keene. Four DEC Forest Rangers responded by ground to Marcy Field to coordinate with State Police Aviation. Keene Valley Backcountry Rescue team members approached on foot to the summit of the second Brothers from the Garden parking area. At 4:00 p.m., two additional Forest Rangers, along with State Police Aviation and two North Country Life Flight paramedics responded to the summit. The hiker was assessed, hoisted into the helicopter and brought to Adirondack Medical Center in Saranac Lake at 4:45 p.m.

High Peaks Wilderness, Town of North Elba

Lost Hiker: On September 30, 2014 at 12:00 a.m., DEC Central Dispatch received a call reporting a missing member of a hiking party. The 48-year old female from Ontario, Canada had become separated from her hiking party after hiking to the summit of Mt. Marcy. A DEC Forest Ranger responded. The hiker was located at 2:45 a.m. on the trail near Marcy Dam. She had separated from her group and taken a wrong turn at the high water bridge. She had started to go back up Marcy when she realized her mistake and hiked down the correct trail, where she was met by the Forest Ranger. She was reunited with her group at the Adirondack Loj at 3:15 a.m.

High Peaks Wilderness, Town of Newcomb

Overdue Hiker: On September 30, 2014 at 5:30 p.m., A DEC Forest Ranger responded to a report of an overdue hiker at Upper Works. The 34-year-old female from Keene, NH was last seen at 1:30 p.m. coming out of Upper Works with her hiking group. When the group arrived at the parking lot she was not accounted for. The group leaders went to the point last scene and could not locate her. The Forest Ranger arrived on scene at 5:47 p.m. and began looking. The Ranger located the hiker on the cross over trail to Indian Pass. The hiker had taken a wrong turn, realized her mistake and doubled back. She was escorted out and reunited with her group at 6:37 p.m.

Washington County

Lake George Wild Forest, Town of Dresden

Lost Hiker: On October 3, 2014 at 6:04 p.m., DEC Dispatch in Ray Brook received a report regarding a 31-year-old female hiker from Gansevoort, NY who had texted a relative that she was lost on Black Mountain. She texted that she was turned around and on the Southside of the mountain. Two DEC Forest Rangers responded to Black Mountain while another Ranger was dispatched by boat to check the backside of Black Mountain. Through texting, it was determined the hiker was on the trail and roughly one mile from the shoreline of Lake George. A Forest Ranger blew the siren on the boat which she heard. He made voice contact with the female at 8:57 p.m. Once she was located she was escorted down the mountain to the Forest Ranger in a waiting boat. The Rangers transported her to Hulett’s Landing and then back to the Black Mountain Trailhead.

Related Stories

Community news stories come from press releases and other notices from organizations, businesses, state agencies and other groups. Submit your contributions to Almanack Editor Melissa Hart at editor@adirondackalmanack.com.

Comments are closed.

Wait! Before you go:

Catch up on all your Adirondack
news, delivered weekly to your inbox