The volunteer group Friends of Stillwater Fire Tower has just completed restoration of the Stillwater Fire Tower. One hundred and twenty-five people hiked to the summit to work on the tower, or attended planning meetings. Mostly North Country and Stillwater locals, but volunteers from all over NY, as well as NJ, MA, PA, DE and FL also took part. The group is partnered with the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, who purchased the materials locally and transported them up the mountain.
On Saturday, July 2, 2016, there will be a public Grand Opening celebration at the tower from 11 am until 3 pm. There will be an attendant in the tower to answer questions or help explain the views of the High Peaks in one direction, and the 195 wind turbines on Tug Hill in the other. An 1920 panoramic map and alidade will be on the fire tower’s new map table.
On the ground will be a display of vintage photographs, and a 1882 map of Verplanck Colvin’s survey of the Adirondacks, showing that Stillwater Mountain was a key place within sight of other mountain tops within the park, and to Gomer Hill, and Croghan. At 1 pm the story of the 1882 brass survey marker that was stolen from the bedrock and recovered a couple of years ago will be told. The Visitors’ Log from 1969-87 will also be on view.
Those with old photographs of the Fire Tower are being asked to share them. For more information, or to share photos, call (315) 376-6592, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or click here.
Photo of workers on the Stillwater Firetower provided.