Saturday, November 11, 2017

Julian Reiss’s Missing Airplane Engine

Julian Reiss Airplane Wreckage (Peter Reiss Photo)

Julian Reiss’s plane crash on the evening of Halloween 1958 remains one of the more unusual in the Adirondacks. While most Adirondack plane crashes involve Forest Rangers, State Police, and many civilian volunteers, this one was different. This search was over almost before it got started when the ‘victims’ walked out of the woods the next day. Shortly thereafter, the Lake Placid village police, the NY State Police and its investigation division, the BCI, became involved.

Earlier that day Reiss had picked up his plane in Norwood, MA, where it had gotten a new engine and a thorough checkout. He then flew to Immaculata College in Malvern, PA, where he landed on the front lawn to pick up his daughter Patti before heading home to Lake Placid. He stopped for fuel in Warren County and continued homeward. Around 6 pm he flew into a violent cold front with squally winds, rain, sleet and snow flurries.

He was flying level at 11,000 feet, well above the highest peaks, when ice began forming on the wings, fuselage and propeller of his Helio Courier. The plane was getting heavier and heavier. Suddenly, the ice flew off one of the three propeller blades on this single-engine plane. The engine began shaking violently due to the imbalance.

Mr. Reiss, a pilot since 1944, throttled the engine down to reduce the shaking and went into a slow descending glide. He realized how lucky it was that his propeller had three blades, not two, or it would have been far worse. About this time his air speed indicator stopped working — it was probably also covered with ice. He tried to radio the authorities, but his radio seemed not to be working either. At 6 or 7,000 feet, his radio direction finder (RDF) suddenly picked up the signal from WNBZ AM 1240 in Saranac Lake. That was good, he believed, he could follow it in to safety.

A little later, the RDF needle swung back around 180 degrees, indicating he had passed over the broadcast station. This seemed odd. there were no lights below. He directed Patti to “look for lights” – they had to be down there somewhere. Ice was making the plane heavier and heavier.

Julian Reiss, as usual remained calm, he never seemed to get rattled when flying. He lowered his air flaps to slow his air speed even more and told Patti to tighten her seat belt and shoulder harness as he spiraled slowly down between mountains looking for signs of life. Finding none, he spiraled back up to try again in a different spot.

Unfortunately, he was fifteen or sixteen miles south of the airport. His RDF was malfunctioning, perhaps from nearby lightning strikes in the sharp cold front he was flying through. Increasing ice accumulations were making the plane too heavy for his air speed. He dared not rev the engine — the propeller was already shaking the plane dangerously. They were going down no matter what he did.

As Patti recalls it, the plane narrowly missed two tall trees, snapped a branch off one and sheared the tops off two more about sixty feet up. Some 200 feet after first hitting the trees, the right wing caught a tree spinning the plane 90 degrees and flipping it onto its back breaking the tail section off.

If one had to crash in the woods, the Helio Courier was the plane in which to do it. It was an uncommonly robust bush plane. In normal conditions, it could stay airborne at a mere 28 mph. It was considered spin-proof and stall-proof; it could take off and land in extremely small spaces. It also had a rugged welded steel tube roll-cage covered with an aluminum skin. It was extremely crashworthy.

So far, they had been lucky. Reiss and his daughter, Patti, found themselves hanging upside down suspended by their shoulder harnesses and seat belts. By some miracle, despite the wild ride, they were not hurt. It was dark, and initially, they did not realize how high up in the trees they were. They freed themselves from their restraints and began moving about looking for warm clothes and materials to close off the cold air coming in. Their movements dislodged the plane and suddenly they dropped an alarming distance, a violent, unexpected event that Patti recalls as “scary.”

Despite the darkness, they quickly realized they were now situated on the ground, or there nearby, and stopped worrying about falling even further. They plugged as many holes in the cabin as they could and put on all the warm clothes they could find and prepared to spend the night.

They knew that no one would be looking for them till morning, it was already pitch-dark. They also realized that no one knew where they were. They did not know where they were, except lost somewhere in the Adirondack woods. Julian later credited his daughter with being “cool as a cucumber” throughout the ordeal.

Patti recalls him joking with her. “My dad said, ‘Oh, Patti, look what we did now. We’ll be late for dinner. Mom will be mad.’” Patti recalls chattering incessantly to keep away her fears that night until sleep finally overtook them.

Julian Reiss was a prominent figure in the Tri-Lakes area. He was well-known as the owner of Northland Motors, a car dealership with showrooms in Lake Placid, Saranac Lake and Tupper Lake. He was the founder and owner of Santa’s Workshop, considered among the first theme parks in the United States. He had recently founded ‘Old MacDonald’s Farm’ in Lake Placid, a summer camp for children, a not-for-profit, the proceeds of which went to needy children.

He had for many years run Operation Toy Lift to benefit orphaned children at Christmas. In 1947, Governor Dewey had appointed him to the State Commission on Discrimination where he was active on civil rights and racial matters. Pope Pius XII had appointed him a Knight of Saint Gregory only six months earlier, recognizing his good works for disadvantaged children. Needless to say, nearly everyone in the region knew him and respected him. Now, he was missing and they worried.

On Saturday morning, while a wide ranging air-search was underway across the Adirondacks, Julian left the wrecked plane and climbed some nearby hills to get his bearings. He eventually found a spot where he could see Whiteface Mountain and then knew which direction to walk. He could hear search planes, his son, Peter, an Air Force pilot stationed at Plattsburgh AFB was among them, but they were all looking in the wrong place.

After returning to his wrecked plane and gathering enough clothes to spend another night in the woods, he and Patti, the latter without shoes, set off through heavy blowdown toward Whiteface Mountain. They had no idea how far from civilization they were. Initially, they bushwhacked through the woods on a bearing toward Whiteface. They did not realize they were paralleling the Northville-Placid Trail, a short distance to their right. It was very slow going with Patti in her stocking feet, her lost shoes had been high-heeled dress pumps, required footwear for girls when leaving the Immaculata campus, but not suitable for this terrain anyway.

At some point, they crossed the Northville-Placid Trail without noticing it, but picked it up later and easily followed it out to the Justin Wescott Farm on Averyville Road where they went to the closest house. It was early afternoon.

Eleanor Wescott answered the door and Julian queried her as to whether he could use her telephone. She replied in the negative, “Oh, no, sir, you cannot. We are the search headquarters for Mr. Reiss and his daughter and we cannot tie up the phone.”

Reiss apologized and diplomatically introduced himself whereupon he was allowed use of the telephone. Eleanor Wescott notified authorities, who called off the search, and then began feeding them. It had been a long, cold night in the woods with no supper and a long walk out with no breakfast.

Julian Reiss Airplane Wreckage (Peter Reiss Photo)While everyone involved was now found safe and sound, the mystery of this crash was only just beginning. The next day (Sunday, November 2nd) after flying over the crash site in his own plane, a Mooney Mark 20, Julian Reiss’s son Peter and his friend Fred Fortune Jr. hiked to the crash site. They found it 2½ to 3 miles in on the northerly flanks of Moose Mountain in a shallow ravine about 150 yards west of the Northville-Placid Trail, some distance before one gets to the turnoff for Wanika Falls.

Once they found the crash site, they recovered Julian and Patti’s personal belongings. Patti had given Peter specific orders to bring back her suitcase full of her favorite new clothes. It was quite clear to Peter that the plane itself could not be salvaged, but it seemed the engine and the instrumentation could be saved.

When he and Fred returned to the crash site only three days later on Wednesday, they were stunned to discover that not only had the propeller been removed, but the engine, the radio gear and all of the instruments were missing. The thieves had even put the cowling back on so that the missing engine would not be noticed from the air. They couldn’t believe it. How could this be? They hiked out and reported it to the police.

When NY State Police and BCI investigators inspected the wreckage, it was obvious to them that thieves acquainted with airplanes had been involved. Police suspected they could have dismantled the engine and carried it out, but they also realized that the stolen articles might still be cached nearby in the woods until the heat was off.  They systematically searched the area for the missing parts. They found nothing.

Initially, the police thought the case would be easy to solve. The brand-new engine, a 6-cylinder, 260-hp, Lycoming Model GO-435-C2B61, had only 5 or 6 hours of run-time on it; it would be easy to sell and the thieves would get a good price for it. They sent out bulletins with the model and serial numbers to all patrols in the Troop B area. Julian Reiss offered a $500 reward for any information leading to the arrest of the thieves. They would catch them at the point-of-sale.

The police wondered how the thieves could carry a 450-lb airplane engine, all the instrumentation, plus, the tools needed, through the woods to Averyville without being discovered? People carrying that heavy of a load, would surely attract notice, but after two weeks, the police had no leads. They didn’t even know if the engine was still in the woods or not. There was some speculation about whether a pontoon plane could have landed on Moose Pond and flown the parts away.

Even so, police publicly expressed confidence they would catch the thieves. They saturated the newspapers with ‘developing’ stories about the theft. After three weeks, public confidence in the police investigation seemed to be wavering. The AuSable Forks newspaper editorialized on the lack of progress in recovering the engine:

“The ones who stole it must have had the strength of Sampson and the brains of a boob. How can they possibly dispose of it? If they tried to sell it whole they would surely be suspected of having stolen it and their arrest would follow … [on the other hand] … maybe the thieves are smarter than one would suppose.”

It seemed the thieves were indeed smarter than anyone supposed. As time went on, the case grew cold: No one carrying a heavy load, or even several smaller heavy loads, was reported. No one reported a 260-horsepower Lycoming engine for sale. No one reported used airplane instruments for sale.

Their first break came around New Year’s 1959 when a Lake Placid resident brought a fuzzy photograph to the village police. It was of a red, white and blue pontoon plane that had landed on Lake Placid around the time of the crash. Neither he, nor any of his neighbors had recognized it or its pilot, so he had photographed it as a curiosity and forgot about it. He was reminded of it after Christmas when reading an article in the Plattsburgh newspaper about how police were still ‘working the case’. He wondered if his photo might be important?

The plane in the photo was clearly a Stinson and it had a 49-star American flag on the tail. The numbers on the plane were barely discernible, but they were enough for the BCI to start an investigation. It was their only lead. The 49-star flag directed them to start in Alaska where they found the initial registration for a 1947 Stinson. Subsequent investigation brought them back to Connecticut. They were getting closer.

What they didn’t know was that very soon after the Reiss crash, a man living in Massachusetts had noticed a small article about the crash in the Springfield, MA, newspaper. He wondered whether the Stinson (a newspaper error) wreckage would have any salvageable items worth his while. It happened he was a pilot and owned his own plane, a 1947 Stinson with pontoons.

He flew up to the Adirondacks to check it out. On the way, he located the crash site from the air and photographed it. Then he landed on Lake Placid and took a taxi to Averyville where he hiked in on the Northville-Placid Trail.

Using his photographs and a map and compass, he soon found the wreckage, and while discovering that the wreck was a Helio Courier, and not a Stinson as reported in the newspaper articles, he nonetheless removed the propeller and the engine. The latter, he hid in the woods. He then removed the radio gear and other instruments, packed them out and flew home.

Later, during three or four weekends off from work, he drove to Averyville in his personal car and returned to the crash site where he had hidden the Lycoming engine. Each time he disassembled the engine into pieces that would fit in his backpack, hiked back to his car with them and drove home unseen and unnoticed until all the gear was in his basement. The heaviest load, the crankshaft, had been “only” 80 pounds by his estimation. His original plan of using the Helio Courier engine in his Stinson was out of the question, the geared-Lycoming would never work in his Stinson.

Unfortunately for him, before he could figure out what to do with parts he had accumulated in his basement, the authorities traced the airplane registration number from Alaska to Connecticut and to a William John Thomson in Longmeadow, Massachusetts. When they showed up at his job at Pratt & Whitney, Bradley Field, CT, on January 8, 1959 – and after they convinced him that they knew a lot about his activities in the Lake Placid area and that they had a description of his pontoon plane – he admitted that he had the parts, but insisted he was not guilty of any crime. Nonetheless, he showed them the boxes in his basement.

He did not realize that they had been bluffing about much of what they told him. All they had was a fuzzy photo of his pontoon plane. Mr. Thomson was not a professional thief. He was not a thief of any kind. He had never been arrested, nor had he any trouble with the law. He came from a respectable Massachusetts family; his father was a bank president in Springfield. Nevertheless, he was extradited to Essex County and placed in jail to await the grand jury action on his charge of felony theft.

At his arraignment, he told North Elba Justice Harlan (Harley) Branch that it was never his intent to steal anything. It was his understanding that an airplane wreck was abandoned property, free-for-the-taking, and that he did not know that what he had done was a crime. He said he thought that airplane wrecks in the Adirondack wilderness were the same as ship wrecks on the open sea, that salvage was open to anyone willing to spend the money and the effort.

Justice Branch later admitted that he had never heard a story like that before, but he suggested Thomson obtain a lawyer to argue his case, and he set bail at $2,000 which Thomson did not have. He was sent back to jail to await grand jury action.

There seems no newspaper record whether Thomson obtained a lawyer, whether he pleaded nolo contendere or otherwise, but at his sentencing in early July 1959 before Essex County Court Judge Sheldon F. Wickes, it would seem he was given the benefit-of- the-doubt regarding his misinterpretation of International Maritime (Admiralty) Law versus the laws of the State of New York. He was sentenced to a $150 fine, restitution to Mr. Reiss, and three years’ probation, thus ending the case of one of the oddest of Adirondack plane crashes.

The police took credit for old-fashioned police work leading to the apprehension and conviction of Mr. Thomson. Perhaps that is true, but one must also realize that if not for the civic-mindedness of a single resident on Lake Placid with a fuzzy photograph, this matter would probably remain open even today.

The irony of this story is even though Mr. Thomson fulfilled all the requirements of his sentence, Julian Reiss still came up short. Thomson meticulously reassembled the engine as only an aircraft mechanic could, and he delivered it and all the other parts to Julian Reiss as required by the court. Upon its receipt, Mr. Reiss, now having no plane to put it in, and being in poor health, and having no plans to fly again, put the engine and all the parts up for sale. He sold them quickly and shipped them out.

To his ultimate dismay, the check bounced.

Photos: the wreckage shortly after the crash (courtesy Peter Reiss).

Related Stories

Richard Tucker was born and raised in Brighton, Franklin County.  He has a particular interest in the history of Adirondack outdoor recreation and the potato industry in Northern New York. He is a senior editor of "An Adirondack Chronology" and the progenitor of "A Potato Chronology" and "A Potato Glossary".  For several years, he was chair of the Adirondack Research Library, now of Union College.  His writing has appeared in publications such as American Alpine Journal, Canadian Alpine Journal, Journal of the New England Ski Museum, among others.

31 Responses

  1. Scott van Laer scottvanlaer says:

    Really well done! I learned some new info from this article. Can you help me with info or locate the one on Little Haystack/Kate Mtn?

    • Cranberry Bill says:

      Scottvanlaer, I hope your book is still in the works.

      • skiman1952 says:

        Scott: Can you tell me the date of a plane crash on Kate Mtn/Little Haystack Mtn? I am somewhat familiar with this area having skied it several times before the Great Ice Storm of 1998.

        • Cranberry Bill says:

          Skiman, I researched these accidents yesterday and found the Haystack one in The Lake Placid News dated March 29, 1978. Try this site: It has a great search engine.

          • Skiman1952 says:

            Scott, Bill: Here is what I found. I hope it helps. A twin-engine Beechcraft B94A in initial approach to Lake Clear airport slammed into the north-northeast side of Big Haystack Mountain at around the 2300 foot level. This mountain, 2544 feet, is located almost directly east of Onchiota and a bit west of Kate Mountain on the south side of the Gabriels-Onchiota Road. This is not the normal approach to this airport.

            All five on board including a 21-month old child were killed. NTSB attributed the case to five factors: The pilot flew the plane knowing that it had mechanical deficiencies, that the pilot made improper in-flight decisions or planning, poor weather: gusting winds, icing conditions (sleet and freezing rain), ice accumulation on the propeller, ice accumulation on the wings.

            I do not know how hard it would be to find the wreckage. I have explored parts of Kate Mountain, but have never been on Big Haystack. The most direct approaches to this peak are on private property.

            Little Haystack Mountain is on the north side of the road behind the Buck Pond Campground. I am pretty sure that newspaper reports suggesting the crash site was here are incorrect.

        • Scott van Laer scottvanlaer says:

          March 19th 1978

      • Scott van Laer scottvanlaer says:

        it is…slow, having trouble finding some and the time to search.


      Press Republican said it happened at 2200′ on Big Haystack. Seems Mr. Hayward was a pretty interesting fellow. NATSB & FAA visited the site. Not sure if they have records available to the public.

  2. Pete Nelson Pete Nelson says:

    Great story. Thank you.


  3. Very interesting story. Thanks for posting.

  4. Amy Godine says:

    Terrific story about an awfully interesting guy. Thanks.

  5. Boreas says:

    Great story!

  6. kathy says:

    Another good one for a novella to add to the anthology of ADK history along with the “brothers’ story!

  7. Jim McCulley says:

    Great story

  8. Taras says:

    Fascinating story! Thank you!

    Of all the locations mentioned, I can’t find “Moose Mountain”. Where is it?

    Based on the other places described, namely the (old) Northville-Placid Trail, Wanika Falls, and Moose Pond, it should be in the vicinity of this Moose Pond.,-74.06268&z=14&b=t

    However, there’s no “Moose Mountain” just nearby “Three Peaks” overlooking the pond (and even old maps never referred to it as Moose Mountain).

    There’s a Moose Mountain, with a nearby Moose Pond, located *north* of Lake Placid but they’re disqualified because they’re nowhere near the NPT trail and Wanika Falls.,-74.00784&z=14&b=t

    Similarly, there another set of Moose mountain and pond located about 5 miles north of Newcomb. They don’t fit into the story because of their distance from the NPT, Wanika Falls, and Lake Placid. Plus spotting Whiteface from there would be a pretty neat trick!,-74.18602&z=14&b=t

    • skiman1952 says:

      You have discovered the truth about “Moose Mountain”. It is no longer called such which was probably a local colloquialism around 1958 and for many years before then. Today, on all USGS maps extant, it is called Three Peaks Mountain. Initially, this made me crazy when trying to sort out the history of this plane crash. The only thing I can think that makes any sense is that way back in history, Moose Pond used to be situated near this multi-peaked summit which then was called Moose Mountain by the locals. My correspondences with the USGS suggest that the name was changed to Three Peaks Mtn around 1980, which can be found in the database of the Board of Geographic Names as ID No. 967458 with an entry date of 23 Jan 1980 and NAD83 coordinates of 44.1975518 lat, -74.0676521 long. It is listed there with an elevation of 2556 feet, but most other references suggest the real elevation is 2939 feet. Source: “Three Peaks,” U.S. Geological Survey. Geographic Names Phase I data compilation (1976-1981). 31-Dec-1981. Primarily from U.S. Geological Survey 1:24,000-scale topographic maps (or 1:25K, Puerto Rico 1:20K) and from U.S. Board on Geographic Names files. In some instances, from 1:62500 scale or 1:250,000 scale maps.
      “Three Peaks, NY,” Essex County NY Peaks List, County Summits, Lists of John. Retrieved 26 Jul 2017 from

      • Taras says:

        I’ll buy that, a “local colloquialism”, because I can’t find it on any published map. Prior to being identified as “Three Peaks”, old USGS maps simply showed no name for this peak.

      • Taras says:

        FWIW, this area appears on the USGS Santanoni quadrangle. The 1967 reprint of the 1953 edition (1:62500 scale) already shows this peak labeled as “Three Peaks”. That’s well before 1980.

        There’s an older map (1951) for the Ogdensburg quad but it’s at 1:250000 scale so that might explain why this lesser peak is not identified on this “coarser” map. Older maps (1:62500), dating back to 1904, show no name for the peak.

        For the folks playing along at home, go here and click on “Moose Pond”.
        A list of all available historical maps for the area will appear along the right-hand side. You can choose to display, or download, any one of the maps.

        • Skiman1952 says:

          What I forgot to say previously is that all contemporary newspaper reports about this plane crash refer to Moose Mountain as the site of the crash. This created a great deal of confusion because as you pointed out there are several Moose Mountains in the region, though none of them qualify as the crash site.

          I should also clarify that the info contained in the USGS database is not necessarily historically correct. Despite what the database says, the name Three Peaks actually shows up on the 1953 edition of the USGS Quadrangle Santanoni. I suspect the USGS database refers to the current mapping data from which came the 1978 metric compilation of 1:24,000 and 1:25,000 scale maps for the Adirondacks.

          You are correct about the name Moose Mountain for that particular peak: It never officially existed. And as you pointed out, prior to 1953, back to at least 1904, on the old 15-minute maps, the mountain carried no official name whatsoever.

          I suspect that because the peak was situated adjacent to Moose Pond local people simply referred to is as Moose Mountain.

      • Scott van Laer scottvanlaer says:

        The fuselage is still there but is in rough shape now sitting right in the drainage. It got battered around by Irene. There are also a bunch of pieces just off the trail next to the junction for Wanika. Not sure why they are there. An explanation I was told was to use as roofing material for the old lean-to.

      • skiman1952 says:

        I forgot to say that all contemporary newspaper articles referred to it as “Moose Mountain”, even though the 1953 USGS Santanoni Quadrangle clearly show it as Three Peaks. You are correct that it was never called Moose Mountain. I traced this quadrangle back to 1904 and discovered that this mountain never had an official name until the 1953 quad. To clarify what I tried to say above, I am guessing that people called it Moose Mountain merely because it was situated adjacent to Moose Pond.

  9. Brad says:

    I try and read as many of these stories as I can and am seldom disappointed. This one, along with the details was also very engaging.

  10. Harv Sibley says:

    Fascinating, keep the stories coming, this is great

  11. RickH says:

    Nice writing!

  12. Matt says:

    Great story!

    At the time of the crash in 1958 when the photo was taken there would only have been 48 states. With Alaska not being added at the 49th state until January 3rd, 1959, I can see why they began their search for a record of the plane there. I wonder that the 49th star meant to William John Thomson and why he had it on his plane before it would have been added to the flag?

    • skiman1952 says:

      Good question. I wondered the same thing. All I know, is that the 49-star flag on this Stinson airplane given the NYS BCI by the Lake Placid village police via a fuzzy photograph taken by a private Lake Placid citizen led them to Alaska, whence they traced the plane to Massachusetts and hence to the perpetrator of this crime.

  13. Charlie S says:

    This was a good read. There is no doubt higher powers look after certain people in this society. The end was humorous!

  14. geogymn says:

    Great story, fun read!

  15. Brian Joseph says:

    Great story!

Take advantage of a special offer for Almanack readers:

Subscribe to the Adirondack Explorer’s app for only $8!

Get a year’s worth of magazine content, the annual Outings guide and multimedia content.

Use the code EXPLORE at checkout