Friday, February 23, 2018

Sarah Pell’s Struggle for History, Human Rights

Mrs. Pell, President Taft, A. C. Bossom” July 6, 1909.Fort Ticonderoga’s “Fort Fever Series” continues on Sunday, March 11, at 2 pm with a program on “A ‘Charmingly Aggressive Woman’: Sarah Pell’s Struggle for History & Human Rights” presented by Miranda Peters, Fort Ticonderoga’s Director of Collections.

This program will explore images, archival materials, and collections never before seen by the public, and recently cataloged by museum staff that reveal glimpses of Sarah Pell’s life and work. This program is part of the National Women’s History Month celebration.

Described by a contemporary as a “charmingly aggressive woman,” most early newspapers identified Sarah Pell as a prime mover behind Fort Ticonderoga’s restoration in the early 20th century. In addition to her work with the museum, Pell was active in restoring the Pavilion into a summer home, developing the King’s Garden, and was an advocate for women’s rights.

Engaged with the suffrage movements across the Atlantic as early as 1913, Sarah Pell joined the National Woman’s Party (NWP) in the 1920s. She help set the organization on the path of financial stability, and become the NWP National Chair in 1936. During her tenure, she reintroduced the Equal Rights Amendment written by Alice Paul in 1923, who had visited the Pavilion at NWP events in Ticonderoga.

Tickets for the Fort Fever program are $12 per person and can be purchased at the door; Fort Ticonderoga Members and Ticonderoga Ambassador Pass holders are admitted free of cost. The program will take place in the Mars Education Center.

A new exhibit at the Mars Education Center focuses on Sarah Pell’s pioneering role in historical preservation and women’s rights to learn how the past informs our work in the present, and the layers of history that can be uncovered here at Ticonderoga.

For more information about Fort Ticonderoga, visit their website or call (518) 585-2821. Fort Ticonderoga is located at 102 Fort Ti Road, Ticonderoga.

Photo: “Mrs. Pell, President Taft, A. C. Bossom” July 6, 1909, provided by Fort Ticonderoga Museum.

Related Stories


Editorial Staff

Stories under the Almanack's Editorial Staff byline come from press releases and other notices. To have your news noticed here at the Almanack contact our editor John Warren at adkalmanack@gmail.com.




Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *