Thursday, October 4, 2018

Bear Poaching Case In Clinton County

According to a press release issued by the Department of Environmental Conservation, on September 24, DEC’s Dispatch Center received a tip from a concerned citizen regarding an individual that had shot multiple bears during the early bear hunting season.

The caller reported that a sow and her two cubs were killed on September 22nd. The case was assigned to ECO Chris Lagree, who reported that the bears were taken illegally less than a mile from his own residence. ECO Lagree interviewed the suspect at his home in Plattsburgh, at which time Lagree says the suspect admitted to taking the sow and cubs in addition to another bear, and to having shot the bears over a bait pile.

The bears were seized from an adjacent garage. The hunter was charged with three counts of taking over the limit for bear, three counts of illegally taking bear, failing to tag bears as required, and taking bear over a pre-established bait pile.

The following day, ECO Matt LaCroix and K-9 Diesel assisted ECO Lagree with locating the location where the bears were shot and securing physical evidence from the scene. The charges are returnable to the Town of Saranac Court in October.

Stories under the Almanack's Editorial Staff byline come from press releases and other notices.To have your news noticed here at the Almanack contact our editor John Warren at adkalmanack@gmail.com.

1. Ethan says:

Hopefully there will be swift justice. A substantial fine and complete loss of all hunting-related privileges for life. Not just one illegality, but three!! No morals or ethics. All hunters should be outraged.

2. Marguerite says:

Greetings,

This is so wrong on many levels, of course the number one is illegal hunting of the bears. Baiting the Bears. The cubs ….omg, where is this going to stop. America needs to enforce the laws and make the punishment much more than it is, no one cares any more. The killing in this country is a epidemic level. All hell is going to break out unless we do something and do it soon. This would be a good place to start.

Marguerite

• john says:

Hey Marguerite — totally agree about the baiting and hunting, but on the rest, cheer up! Homicide rates in the US are lower than they have been in 50 years, as are almost all categories of violent and property crime. On the other side of the coin, the US has more people in prison than any other country in the world — no one is even close. I would say that we do a decent job of enforcing our laws.

3. Ryan Finnigan says:

Take the gun used in this crime from this criminal forever!

4. chris says:

hang em high judge only a lowlife shoots a mamma and cubs on bait no less

5. Sonja Jefferson says:

I’m so sick of irresponsible hunters and bait piles. Baits piles in my opinion is not hunting. What’s up with the people hunting in their back yards out here in Saranac? I see alot of it.

• Paul says:

I agree on the no baiting when it comes to bears. It is quite common in places where hunting is more of a necessity to manage bear numbers.

I have to admit that I have spent many hours using bait to harvest other animals (fish). Is that not fishing?

6. Debra says:

Why has this individuals name, not been released?
    Hopefully this will not be swept under the rug.

Don’t quote me on this, but I believe DEC is restricted in some cases as to what information they can disclose depending on the infraction.

• adkDreamer says:

There is no Federal or NYS restriction, law or statute that prevents the DEC from providing names to the media. Here are the facts:

“It is the Department of Environmental Conservation’s policy to not include the names of the subjects of any our searches, rescues, investigations, or arrests.” – Public Outreach, Region 5 New York State Department of Environmental Conservation.

• Paul says:

Restricted by policy.

• adkDreamer says:

A self made policy not imposed by an outside force may have the color of law but is not law itself. So the DEC adopts the above policy with reasoned purpose, a construction of their own choosing and therefore the policy cannot possibly be construed as a restriction. DEC may at any time choose to modify or dispose of the policy and therefore it is a simple free will choice.

It servers little purpose and benefits no one to attempt to reach a conclusion without context.

7. Charlie S says:

Marguerite says: “The killing in this country is at an epidemic level.”

Nothing has changed Marguerite except maybe for the fact that we have become more civilized since the 1800’s, which is nothing to be proud about. To kill a mama bear and her two cubs! How some people sleep at night is beyond me! Surely something having to do with a lack of conscience. What else could it be? A higher level of intelligence? Truly I believe in karma what goes around comes around. I can only imagine icicles forming around my person if I were ever to come in contact with a mentality like this. There’s a lot of that going around you know…a coldness, a stiffness, a vacuum with oodles of empty space. I couldn’t imagine living in the head of this person who killed these bears. It must be a living hell to be so empty and cold………………………….but then you’d have to have a conscience in order for it to be.

8. Charlie S says:

John says: “Hey Marguerite — cheer up! Homicide rates in the US are lower than they have been in 50 years, as are almost all categories of violent and property crime.”

This nation was conceived and born in violence John there’s no escaping this fact, and there’s no fixing it neither else it would have happened by now. Homicide rates may be down which doesn’t really mean anything when you look at all of the other violence and the long term effects it will have on this society which is generally a stiff and unenlightened one at best….if you ask me.

Violence is violence! Until we place value on all living things I see no hope for us John. I can only imagine all of the other damage this hunter does, how much of a negative effect he has on the environment that surrounds him. I mean if you can kill a mama bear and her two beautiful cubs just imagine all of the other damage this one man creates….unseen damage to unseen critters but which are there nonetheless and play a very big part in the grand scheme of things on this ever shrinking orb we call earth. We have no right to destroy any thing we cannot replace unless it is absolutely necessary to do so, and then we should pray over what we kill and ask for forgiveness.

I’m not religious but I know what I feel and I know right from wrong and this hunter was most definitely wrong but what are we going to do about it. Slap a small fine on him and life goes on like it always does.

• Paul says:

You say – “we should pray over what we kill and ask for forgiveness” – then you say- “I’m not religious”?

Prayer Defined. The act of prayer is a ritual shared by the Explicit Religions of Islam, Judaism, Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism and other established faiths [18-21]. As a component of traditional Explicit Religions, prayer is a believer’s sincere effort to commune with a creator or supernatural entity [22, 23].Jul 1, 2017

• Charlie S says:

I believe in a higher power Paul, a power greater than me…only because of experience, not because of some man in a robe on a pulpit. I am not religious and by the definition you present above “prayer is a believer’s sincere effort to commune with a creator or supernatural entity,” supernatural being a force above the normal laws of nature, it does not describe me as religious. Religious people throw me Paul, especially those radical right fools who are seemingly gaining ground all over the world and in this country.

9. adirondackjoe says:

Please stop calling them hunters. That’s like calling bank robbers customers. They are criminals.