TAUNY in Downtown Canton has announced the 2019 TAUNY Knits Sweater Competition.
TAUNY will accept entries knitted in the last 5 years through Wednesday, February 6th at the TAUNY Center. Entries will be accepted in 2 categories: sweaters for adults and sweaters for children. Judging will take place February 7.
Sweaters will be displayed at The TAUNY Center during Canton’s Winterfest February 9-23, 2019.
TAUNY will kick off the knitted sweater display with a knitting circle at The TAUNY Center on Saturday, February 9 from 1 to 3 pm. Participants do not have to enter a sweater in the competition to join the knitting circle. Knitters are invited to come be inspired by other knitters’ current projects and share theirs with everyone.
TAUNY Knits Sweater Competition judges will consider the following when assessing the entries: overall appeal of the sweater; appeal of pattern and design choice; appropriateness and quality of yarn used for the project; excellence of execution of techniques used in the sweater, including any modifications made to the pattern by the knitter, and details of final construction and finishing; and functionality of the finished item.
Guidelines for the competition include:
- Each entrant may submit up to 5 garments to the competition. There is no charge to enter.
- Sweaters may be made from the knitter’s original designs, or from published patterns.
- Entries may be sweaters for any season of the year, or any purpose. (Everyday wear or special occasion sweaters, for example.)
- Entries may be mailed to The TAUNY Center, 53 Main St., Canton, NY 13617. Entrants will be responsible for return postage.
- Entries must be received by 4 p.m. on February 6 and must remain on display at The TAUNY Center until close of business on February 23.
- Entrants do not have to live in Northern New York to enter.
Prizes will be awarded in multiple categories. Best in Show will receive a $100 cash prize. There will also be prizes for first, second, and third place in the adult and child-sized sweater categories.
The TAUNY Center is located at 53 Main Street, Downtown Canton. For more information, visit TAUNY’s website.
Photo of hand-spun, hand-dyed yarn by Kimberly Handspun Handwoven provided.