Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Be Informed About Harmful Algal Blooms

keeping dogs safe from harmful algal bloomsNew York Sea Grant is reminding the public to be informed about harmful algal blooms (HABs), how to avoid exposure of oneself and pets, and where to report potential HABs.

In a statement to the press, Jesse Lepak, Ph.D., Great Lakes Fisheries and Ecosystem Health Specialist with New York Sea Grant said: “Not all algal blooms are harmful, but some dense populations of cyanobacteria, also known as blue-green algae, can produce toxins that can have serious effects on liver, nervous system, and skin of humans and their pets.”

Toxic HABs can develop in less than 24 hours, so pet owners are encouraged to avoid exposure to potential HABs which are often blue-green, but can also appear red, brown, or white. Blooms can look like spilled paint, pea soup, foam, scum, or floating mats.

The ingestion of HAB toxins can cause drooling, tremors, and seizures in dogs. Owners should take animals that have been exposed to HABs immediately to a veterinarian. A informational brochure about dogs and HABs can be downloaded from the New York Sea Grant website, with video clips explaining more about HABs.

The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation maintains a website that provides updates on HABs called the Harmful Algal Blooms Notification Page. The DEC provides instructions for reporting a potential bloom and notifications of HABs. Dubbed NYHABS, the reporting system features an interactive map that is updated daily with reports of HABs as well as a new public reporting form.

The New York State Department of Health provides “Know It, Avoid It, Report It” information on blue-green algae blooms on their website.

For more information on HABs from New York Sea Grant, a National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration cooperative program of Cornell University and the State University of New York, click here.

Related Stories

Stories under the Almanack's Editorial Staff byline come from press releases and other notices.

Send news updates and story ideas to Alamanck Editor Melissa Hart at editor@adirondackalmanack.com.

One Response

  1. Cathy Gilligan says:

    Thanks for the information! I’ve heard it can be toxic to pets, but I’m not sure the general public is aware of this potential harm to pups.
    Thank you for passing along the information so our 4 legged friends can stay safe!

Wait! Before you go:

Catch up on all your Adirondack
news, delivered weekly to your inbox