New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) has announced they are now accepting applications for the 17th annual Environmental Excellence Awards program. The Environmental Excellence Awards recognize businesses, institutions, municipalities, and organizations for outstanding commitments to environmental sustainability, social responsibility, and economic viability.
Businesses (small, medium, and large, manufacturing, power generation, retail, agri-business, renewable energy, hospitality, sports, etc.); not-for-profit organizations; academic, health care, and recreational facilities; and local, state, federal, and Indian Nation government agencies are eligible.
Entities that implement innovative technologies, advance sustainable practices, generate economic growth, harness the power of creative partnerships, and achieve extraordinary outcomes are encouraged to apply. Competitive applications will focus on projects or programs resulting in significant environmental benefits by:
- reducing greenhouse gas emissions;
- helping adapt to or mitigate climate change;
- reducing food waste or encouraging recycling and composting programs;
- developing “green tech” solutions;
- supporting clean energy and green infrastructure projects;
- developing vital natural resource/habitat protection or restoration efforts;
- improving energy efficiency;
- implementing sustainable education and training programs;
- creating greener chemistries and least-toxic products;
- improving manufacturing processes; and
- supporting creative urban forestry or farming practices, including programs to advance “farm to table.”
Completed applications must be submitted by Friday, April 17, 2020. An award ceremony will honor winners and give them an opportunity to present on their project.
To be recognized as an Environmental Excellence Award winner, applicants must be in good standing with DEC and in full compliance with the Environmental Conservation Law currently and for the previous three years. Applicants shall not be involved in any litigation against DEC or with the State of New York within the past seven years.
Information about the award program and the application can be found on the DEC website, or email a request to [email protected], or in writing to the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation, Pollution Prevention Unit, 625 Broadway, 9th Floor, Albany, New York 12233-7253 or by phone to DEC’s Pollution Prevention Unit at (518) 402-8706. Applications accepted through April 17, 2020.
Photo of DEC Environmental Excellence Award provided.