Wednesday, May 20, 2020

ADK Health COVID-19 Mobile Testing Locations

Saranac Lake’s Adirondack Health Center has finalized their mobile COVID-19 testing locations throughout Essex and Franklin counties for the week.

Dates and locations are subject to change on a week by week basis. Anyone wishing to be tested can do so, subject to availability of supplies. To make an appointment call the Adirondack Health COVID-19 Clinic at 518-897-2462. Doctors orders are recommended but not necessary for testing. Tests include a nose swab, or an optional blood draw and test for the presence of antibodies.

This week:

• Wednesday, May 20, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m., Northwood School parking lot, 92 Northwood Rd., Lake Placid, NY 12946
  • Thursday, May 21, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m., L.P. Quinn Elementary School, 294 Hosley Ave., Tupper Lake, NY 12986
  • Friday, May 22, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m., St. Regis Falls Health Center, 6 N. Main St., St. Regis Falls, NY 12980

To learn more or find additional information regarding COVID-19 testing, pleace visit: https://www.adirondackhealth.org/coronavirus

Editorial Staff

Stories under the Almanack's Editorial Staff byline come from press releases and other notices.

Send news updates and story ideas to Alamanck Editor Melissa Hart at editor@adirondackalmanack.com.

1. Boreas says:

Anyone know if CV19 can be spread by blackflies, and mosquitos?? Supposedly there are no data to suggest this at this time, but tell me that wouldn’t suck (especially HERE!). No pun intended… Hopefully the virus will not mutate to involve these vectors!

2. Balian the Cat says:

I am fairly certain that I read that the virus cannot survive the gut of insects – FAQ section of CDC or NYS? – but I am NOT an authority.

3. JohnL says:

Yeah, let’s see how many different ways we can scare people about this flu epidemic. Spread by lack flies/mosquitoes (no hiking), earth worms (no fishing), fireflies (stay inside after dark), etc etc.

• Balian the Cat says:

JohnL,

I think maybe you should take the dog for a walk or something? You’re not usually this cranky. If questions, conversations, and reasonable back and forth scares people…there won’t be much any of us can do moving forward.

p.s. I know that you know that Covid-19 isn’t the flu, but remember that disinformation scares people too.

Respectfully

JohnL,

I am a high risk individual in a high risk healthcare occupation so yes, I harbor fear of catching and dying from CV-19. I think I have a valid question given our location. Even if a virus can’t survive in the gut of a bug doesn’t mean it can’t survive on its mouthparts. It isn’t beyond comprehension that a bug can bite more than one person in a day!

You can call CV-19 the flu or even the uncommon cold if you want, but it doesn’t make it any less deadly.

• JohnL says:

Flu….Flu…Flu. A fairly serious flu, but still the flu. It’s mainly killing old people with multiple other issues, which our (NY State) government didn’t seem to understand when they sent people with the CV back into nursing homes. These old people with multiple ONGOING health issues SHOULD be really scared, and they should be protected. BTW, I’m high risk too, which is to say I’m old, but I’m not going to let this thing control my life. Nobody is saying you can’t stay home and never go out again. If you’re that scared, go for it.

4. Charlie S says:

“Yeah, let’s see how many different ways we can scare people about this flu epidemic.”

I am reminded! There are a school of people out there, and I know some of them, who just seem to believe that this coronavirus is nothing but a scare tactic, or much over-hyped and gone too far, or some things to that effect. Yet look at all of the reports coming in! Bodies in reefer trucks outside of hospitals, men in pickup trucks transporting bodies to funeral homes in NJ, etc.because there’s so many of them, bodies of Covid-19 victims being shipped upstate to Albany Rural Cemetery, or Oakwood Cemetery Troy, to be cremated, crematoriums over-burdened due to so many victims, etc, etc… That’s just in this country! The scenes are worse in other countries, bodies laying on sidewalks outside of hospitals, etc….

It’s almost as if you can place a colossal covid spore on some part of a denier’s anatomy and they will still dismiss reality. It’s the oddest thing!

• JohnL says:

Wow Charlie. You’re outdone even yourself with this one. You’ve listed almost EVERY extreme exaggeration, myth, and scary urban legend there is regarding this epidemic. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to try to pick my way through the rotting bodies in the street to get to my car, to go get my afternoon cup of coffee. Wish me luck. JohnL……Out!!
      Optomist??? Really??

• Suzanne says:

John L, I live near Elmhurst Hospital in Queens, which has been very hard hit. I know people who work there and I can assure you that Charlie is not exaggerating or repeating urban legends. I’ve walked past those refrigerated trucks. As an older person, I am not scared, but take reasonable precautions — a mask and gloves when I go out to the store or a walk, for the sake of other people. I don’t like wearing a mask but I don’t wish to sneeze on others. Even Donald Trump has finally come to the conclusion that this is not “the flu.”

Enjoy your coffee. Better make it a decaf.

• JohnL says:

New York City is a whole different world for any number of reasons, not the least of which are the sanitation issues of a city that allows homelesss people to live, literally, in the public transportation system that millions use daily. I’m basically talking about most of the rest of America. And, by the way, refrigerated trucks are S.O.P. when there is a temporary shortage of storage for human bodies for any reason. They refrigerated and slow decomposition.Where else would you put them?

5. Charlie S says:

Suzanne says: “John L, I live near Elmhurst Hospital in Queens…. I can assure you that Charlie is not exaggerating. Even Donald Trump has finally come to the conclusion that this is not “the flu.”

> You’re wasting your energy Suzanne. I’d like to believe in JohnL’s optimism but everything i’m reading leads me to believe his Koolaide is spiked.