The Mobile Farmers Market returns for the 2020 season with community-based stops in Franklin and Clinton counties.
A program of the Joint Council for Economic Opportunity JCEO and the North Country Health Heart Network, the mobile market provides access to fresh fruit and vegetables, baked goods, and a salad bar. The market debuted in 2018 and has since expanded its stops and offerings. In light of COVID-19, this year, the mobile market will be following strict social distancing and health guidelines.
Richard Lavigne, JCEO’s food services director had the following to say about the Mobile Market: “It is perhaps more important now than ever to ensure that our communities have access to fresh fruits and vegetables, for those who are at higher risk for COVID-19 infection, bringing the market directly to their communities and helping to limit travel is essential.”
The Mobile Market will accept SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program), and let consumers use farmers market vouchers. The mobile market will also include a Family Fun Challenge, which will be a series of activities that will encourage creativity and educate them on local food programs. To learn more about the challenge, visit the following link: http://www.heartnetwork.org/.
The schedule for the Mobile Market Bus #1, which will carry veggies, baked goods, and contain a salad bar is as follows:
- Mondays: Saranac Lake Adult Center, 10 a.m. to noon, Tupper Lake Adult Center, 12:30 to 2 p.m.
- Tuesdays: Waverly Town Offices, 10 a.m. to noon, Malone Court House, noon to 2 p.m.
- Wednesdays: UVM Alice Center Nursing Home, 10 11:15 a.m., UVM Alice Hyde Hospital, 11:15 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Thursdays: Citizen Advocates, 10 to 11:30 a.m., Malone Court House, 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Fridays: Malone Chamber of Commerce, 10 to 11:30 a.m., Malone Social Services, 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
The schedule for Mobile Market Bus #2 is:
- Mondays: Churubusco/Summit Park, 10 a.m. to noon, Ellenburg Municipal Center, 12:15 2 p.m.
- Tuesdays: Westville Center, 10 a.m. to noon, Fort Covington/Rainbow Park, noon to 2 p.m.
- Wednesdays: Trails of Malone, 10 a.m. to noon, Owls Head, 12:30 to 2 p.m.
- Thursdays: Catherine St. Housing, 10 11:15 a.m., Elm St. Housing, 11:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m., Sawyer St. Housing, 1 to 2 p.m.
- Fridays: Lyon Mountain, 10 a.m. to noon, Brainardsville, 12:30 to 2 p.m.
To see a map of the markets, follow this link: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1_-7aI8wzoniBPhH7L55a2RME71V5TnqC&ll=44.79068952694572%2C-74.26217135000002&z=10