The Adirondack Pollinator Project (APP) is once again celebrating National Pollinator Week, June 22-28, to highlight the critical importance of pollinators to biodiversity, food availability, and the economy. Pollinators help produce approximately 1/3 of the food we eat. In New York State alone, bees and other pollinators provide some $350 million in pollination services each year. This year’s programs are being delivered digitally.
The Adirondack Pollinator Project is a project of AdkAction in partnership with The Wild Center, The Lake Placid Land Conservancy, and Paul Smith’s College, with the mission of inspiring individual and collective action to help pollinators thrive. Creative digital program offerings throughout National Pollinator Week will allow people of all ages to learn about pollinators, gardening with native plants, and more.
Each weekday during National Pollinator Week, The Wild Center will host a noon program focused on pollinators. On Monday, June 22, the Lake Placid Land Conservancy will offer a citizen science training to teach participants how to use the iNaturalist app to identify plants and pollinators. Paul Smith’s College will offer a Bee Box Building workshop to create habitat for native bees on Tuesday, and Saranac Lake Community Solar Project will share their plans for creating pollinator habitat under their solar arrays and help interested locals learn how to save on their energy bill while supporting renewable energy and promoting pollinators.
On Thursday evening, AdkAction will welcome author and pollinator-expert Kim Eierman to present her lecture, “The Pollinator Victory Garden: Winning the War on Pollinator Decline.” She will teach participants how, with simple strategies, it is easy to attract and support bees and other pollinators. Learn how to create a Pollinator Victory Garden to help win the war on pollinator decline.
See the full schedule here:
Monday, June 22nd
- 2pm–Lake Placid Land Conservancy iNaturalist Training https://www.facebook.com/ConserveLandADK/Click here for help setting up iNaturalist and tips on recording observations: http://www.lakeplacidlandconservancy.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/iNaturalist_for_Beginners.pdf
Tuesday, June 23rd
- 12pm–Wild Center Programming: What’s All the Buzz About www.wildcenter.org/digital
- 2pm–Paul Smith’s College Bee Box Building https://www.paulsmiths.edu/VIC/online-resources/
- 7pm–Saranac Lake Community Solar Project www.wildcenter.org/digital
Wednesday, June 24th
- 12pm–Wild Center Programming: Batty about Pollination www.wildcenter.org/digital
Thursday, June 25th
- 12pm–Wild Center Programming: The Secret Life of Wildflowers www.wildcenter.org/digital
- 6pm–AdkAction presents: The Pollinator Victory Garden: Winning the War on Pollinator Decline by Kim Eierman AdkAction.org/pollinators
Friday, June 26th
- 12pm–Wild Center Programming: Pollinators & Predators: www.wildcenter.org/digital