If you like pesto, there is nothing quite like making and eating it fresh! Although you can substitute bottled minced garlic and shaker-can cheese for the garlic cloves and freshly grated cheese called for in the recipe, using fresh ingredients will make the flavors truly pop.
- 2 Cups of fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 Cup (around 2 ounces) of freshly grated Romano or Parmesan-Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 Cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 Cup pine nuts
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (or 1 Tablespoon minced garlic)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a food processor, place basil leaves and pine and pulse a several times.
- Add the garlic and cheese to the basil and pine nut mixture and pulse several more times, scraping down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula to ensure that the entire mixture is combined.
- Turn the food processor to slow, and add the oil slowly (in a steady stream), occasionally stopping the food processor to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Nutrition Information: Serving size: 1 teaspoon | Servings per recipe: around 48; Calories: 67.1, total fat: 15.9 g, saturated fat: 1.7 g, trans fat: 0 g; cholesterol: 0 mg, sodium: 31 mg, carbohydrates: 0.3 g, fiber: 0.1 g, sugar: 0.1 g, protein: 1.7 g