This old-fashioned recipe for skillet cornbread is simple, easy, and produces a delicious cornbread that has a perfectly buttery crust on the bottom.
- ½ stick butter
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups cornmeal
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ cup milk
- 10-inch cast iron skillet
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place butter in the skillet, and place the skillet in the preheated oven, keeping it in there until the butter is melted.
- In a mixing bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, egg, and milk. Pour in melted butter, and stir until combined.
- Pour batter into skillet, and return skillet to oven. Bake for around 35 minutes, or until cornbread is fully cooked in the middle, and the top is golden in color.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Nutrition Information (calculated using skim milk): servings per recipe: 12 | Serving Size: 1/12th slice of cornbread | Calories: 118.1 kcal; total fat: 4.9 g; saturated fat: 2.6 g; trans fat: 0.2 g; cholesterol: 26.1 mg; sodium: 18 mg; carbohydrates: 16.1 g; fiber: 1.8 g; sugar: 1.2 g, protein: 3.4 g