Herbed Focaccia Bread
A recipe for baking an herbed foccacia bread, an Italian yeast bread backed in a sheet pan and flavored with olive oil and herbs. It is simple, easy, and smells absolutely incredible when it is cooking.
- 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 cup mozzarella (optional)
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, salt, sugar, yeast, garlic powder, oregano, thyme, basil and black pepper. Mix in the vegetable oil and water.
- When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl, and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth, and let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Punch dough down; place on greased baking sheet. Pat into a 1/2-inch-thick rectangle. Brush top with oil, and sprinkle with cheese (optional).
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm.
*Recipe adapted from Allrecipes