MB’s Hearty Vegan Lentil Soup
I love food that is inexpensive, filling, healthy, and flavorful. This recipe hits all of my requirements. For more of a kick, feel free to add some cayenne powder! Servings: 5
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, diced
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more if you like spicy food)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (Italian style is best)
- 2 cups dry lentils
- 6 cups veggie broth
- Salt to taste (pink Himalayan is best)
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, heat up 2 cups of veggie broth. Add onions, garlic, carrots, and celery; cover, cook, and stir occasionally until veggies are tender.
- Add remaining veggie broth, crushed tomatoes, lentils, and spices, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer until lentils are fully cooked (around an hour), stirring occasionally. When ready to serve, season to taste with salt and pepper.
Nutrition Information: (1 serving) – Calories: 131.7; Total fat: 1.1g; Saturated fat: 0.2g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 521mg; Carbohydrates: 28.9g; Fiber: 6.1g; Sugar: 11.9g; Protein: 7.1g
* Recipe from Marybeth Mitcham, MPH
Recent Almanack Comments