Monday, March 8, 2021

Glens Falls Post-Star
Albany Times-Union
With flames to pulp
kindling ignores news
Favors votes to get
dinner on the table

Read More Poems From The Adirondack Almanack HERE.

Edward Zahniser

Ed Zahniser retired as the senior writer and editor with the National Park Service Publications Group in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia. He writes and lectures frequently about wilderness, wildlands, and conservation history topics. He is the youngest child of Alice (1918-2014) and Howard Zahniser (1906–1964). Ed’s father was the principal author and chief lobbyist for the National Wilderness Preservation System Act of 1964. Ed edited his father’s Adirondack writings in Where Wilderness Preservation Began: Adirondack Writings of Howard Zahniser, and also edited Daisy Mavis Dalaba Allen’s Ranger Bowback: An Adirondack farmer - a memoir of Hillmount Farms (Bakers Mills).

Tags:

1. Bob Meyer says:

Reality for many.
    Terse and to the point.
    America, a land of increasing disparity.

Thank you Ed.

• Ed Zahniser says:

Hi Bob. Wow, my poem was inexact, throwing
      readers off. My apology.
      The poem wanted to be about starting the
      breakfast fire in the cabin fireplace to
      cook breakfast. We used newspapers to
      ignite the kindling. So, it’s a good lesson to
      me that a poem must be quite precise or
      it hazards throwing folks off the intended
      track! Cheers, Ed Z

• Bob Meyer says:

Well knowing your history I thought you might have been relating to cabin life, but the poem struck me so strongly as also a social statement that I just let it take me there. That it’s “imprecise” actually just deepens it content.

2. Vanessa Banti Vanessa says:

Ok ok I’ll bite.

Wind through the pines
    Purple distance at sunset
    Moon waxes and wains.

I wake up early morning
    A revelation! The internet.
    Print newspapers as rare as a hiker
    With 10 essentials headed up Cascade.

…which is meant kindly, really! But there isn’t a monopoly on any “side” thinking that their message is most direct. We all think our policy will put food on the table. But who’s table and how many tables is the question. 🙂

3. Ed Zahniser says:

Hi Vanessa
    I like your version in response to the poem!
    The poem wanted to be about starting the
    breakfast fire in the cabin fireplace to
    cook breakfast. We used newspapers to
    ignite the kindling. So, it’s a good lesson to
    me that a poem must be quite precise or
    it hazards throwing folks off the intended
    track! Cheers, Ed Z

• Vanessa Banti Vanessa says:

Hi Ed, thank you for the kind reply! 🙂 Lol I guess the topic of my poem is on my mind because last week I attended a very nice talk at the Adirondack Center for Writing about the future of media. It was an extremely venerable pack of panelists, but they were not really, as one panelist stated, too “bullish on the internet.”

I don’t really get why so many journalists are scared of the internet. It’s a technology and therefore indifferent to how we use it. It’s a YUUGE task to figure out how to use it to better human society, and we’re nowhere close at the moment. But good comes of it too.