This simple and easy recipe not only produces mouth-wateringly delicious spaghetti and meat sauce, but it can also be adjusted to meet different dietary needs. For those on a gluten-free diet, use gluten-free spaghetti. Although ground turkey was used in this version, you can substitute any other ground meat or even meat substitute.
I threw in a handful of dried bean flakes and some shredded carrots for added nutrients when I made this a few nights ago, and my son never even knew that they were there (shhh!).
- 3 pounds of ground turkey (or other ground meat or meat substitute)
- 1 (16 ounce) box of uncooked spaghetti
- 1 (48 ounce) jar of tomato sauce (or 3 15.5 ounce cans)
- 2 Tablespoons Italian herb mix (or equal amounts dried oregano, basil, and parsley, combined)
- 2 Tablespoons curry powder
- 2 Tablespoons sazon (can be found in the Goya section of your grocery store)
- 2 Tablespoons granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper (or more if you prefer spicier)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Oil spray
- Spray the interior of a 5 quart pot (I use a cast iron Dutch oven) with oil spray, add ground turkey, and cook on medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to break apart clumps of meat.
- While the turkey is cooking, fill a 3 quart pan about 2/3 of the way with water. Place pan on the stove and bring water to a boil. Once water is boiling, add spaghetti, reduce heat to low, and cook spaghetti until al dente, keeping pot uncovered. Drain spaghetti and set aside.
- When turkey is cooked, turn heat to low. Add tomato sauce and all spices, stirring to incorporate. Then, add drained spaghetti to the meat/sauce/spice mixture, stirring well to incorporate. Let simmer for at least 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent food from sticking on the bottom of the pan.
- Serve warm, with crusty bread and salad, and enjoy!
Nutritional Information (using 97% lean ground turkey): Serving size: 1 Cup | Servings per recipe: around 20 | Per Serving: 202 kCal | 18.5 g. fat, 2.1 g saturated fat, 0.1 g trans fat. | 612.2 mg sodium | 11.9 g carbohydrates, 1.8 g fiber, 2.6 g. sugar | 21 g protein