Saturday, May 29, 2021

Penny for your thoughts: feedback, story ideas

penny for your thoughtsHi Almanackers!

I’m unplugged this weekend starting today, and hope you also enjoy this Memorial Day weekend. Wanted to take a minute to ask for your thoughts. Is there anything you’ve particularly enjoyed reading recently on this site? Anything you’d like to see more of? A topic/issue we’re not covering? A burning question or story idea?

Please feel free to weigh in below or send me an email to [email protected] and I’ll check it out when I get back online next week.

Thanks for reading!

Melissa is a journalist with experience as a reporter and editor with the Burlington Free Press, Ithaca Journal and Fairbanks Daily News-Miner. She worked as a communications specialist for the Adirondack North Country Association and runs her own New York State Women owned Business-Enterprise Bootstrap Communications, which includes digital marketing, strategy and design. She enjoys hiking, camping and other outdoors activities, and spending time with her husband, their twin daughters, and rescue animals -- two dogs and a cat.

1. Alan West says:

I would like to see articles about hunting, fishing, and trapping. They seem to be a big No No.
    Also like to see more on particular species: fisher, moose, beaver, etc.

2. I would like to see more articles about indigenous trees, how to identify them, age etc. Also like to read about indigenous animal species, particularly those that have declined and why (I read somewhere moose decline is attributable to the increase in tick population?). Worth mentioning though that every article I read here is interesting. Thank you!

3. icheckemout says:

I greatly enjoy the articles about plants, wildlife and ecology but get bogged down by the excess detail and length of some of the articles. They seem to get more technical than they used to be. Nothing wrong with sharing the information, but I often fade away before the end. Would like to see shorter similar articles.

4. Zephyr says:

I have zero interest in hunting, fishing, and trapping. Would like more penetrating stories on how the DEC is creating and implementing new regulations like the idiotic permit system at the AMR parking area that reduces access, is less equitable, and makes the road situation more dangerous. We need someone to ask DEC officials who is making these decisions, how they are made, and what stakeholders have had input. These decisions and regulations need to be transparent and predicatable, and not just sprung on the public. And our government officials need to be held accountable for the decisions made–who is making them?

5. JohnL says:

On this solemn weekend, thanks to all our veterans, past and present. And special thanks to all those veterans who gave their lives so that we may live free.

6. Ann Brewer says:

Maybe you should do a story about poor decision making by the people who hike through our Adirondacks.

By this I do not need to see more stories of the heroics preformed by our rangers and volunteer fire fighters.
    What I would like to see is a story describing step by step call Ranger A who had to drive x miles at 4 am then hike 6 miles to GPS coordinates. Called local fire dept for manpower to carry victim to trailhead.

I would like to see the article focus on because hiker A failed to bring proper attire he had to be rescued by 8 men that crawled out of bed. And this rescue cost the local community fire dept $x and state troopers $y in overtime. The helicopter cost $z and 8 men risked their life because hiker A became hypothermia and disoriented.

I live in one of these communities and the fundraising required to keep ambulances and rescue teams available is tremendous. Visitors need to take care and be prepared.

Finish the article by laying out the must have items needed to be carried. And explain that in our regular lives we set the bar high but on the trail we should strive to stay within our abilities.

I guess I am asking for a blunt article that will make
    people realize that poor decisions impact the local communities.

• Ann. Marie Brewer says:

Thanks for asking.
      I read most articles regardless.
      It’s just the numbers of rescues climb the number of Rangers hasn’t increased and volunteer Fire Departments are very short staffed.

7. Vanessa Banti Vanessa says:

I really like the content about interesting and “off the beaten path” hikes & outdoor attractions. More stuff like this please! Also, I bet not everyone agrees with the following, but the community content regarding housing, the economy, and attracting new people is important too. And I’ll even take occasional politics, which I know for sure isn’t everyone’s jam 😉

Thinking this weekend of all the brave vets and especially my friend Jacob George, who committed suicide in 2014. Not everyone who is fallen fell on the battlefield. ??

8. geogymn says:

Native American history of the Adirondacks.

9. Andrew says:

I think you should cater your articles to Zephyr. It appears they believe no one else should have input that doesn’t align with theirs. So add some more political mumbo jumbo to the mix and force a wedge deeper into your readers. This sounds entertaining and informational… Where is my popcorn.

Thank you for your kind words JohnL and I am glad you brought this subject up during this remembrance. Everyone gave something, but some gave everything.

As a veteran myself, I would like to see this outlet engage veterans as to how the Adirondacks impact their lives.
    This could be for work or play or maybe their retirement. I am sure there has to be a veteran support group that does some type of benefit for the communities of the Adirondacks.

10. wbb says:

There has been a lot of discussion recently about the population decline, particularly in the younger demographic. A regular feature that highlights a specific community and its residents, focusing on small family-owned businesses, other employment opportunities, volunteer opportunities, its school and churches. True insight into what life is like for a resident in the Adirondacks. The Adirondacks is not a monolith; what is true for someone in Lake George is not the same for the town of Fine.

11. Bill Ott says:

I’d like to read stories from old guides, hunters, trappers, and rangers. Jim Burnett, a guide, wrote “Adirondack Snow Flurries” (1987), a copy of which may be in the Cranberry Lake library, if it is still open. He and the state ranger based in Wanakena at the time used to tell me some stories, most of which I cannot remember. They told me the locations of 2 airplane wrecks in the 5 Ponds area. One was a Piper Cub flown by Wilbur Weyland from Nutley, New Jersey. He crashed in 1954 and was not found until 1979. It took me two tries to find it in 1994. Then it was mostly above ground. Now it is buried in the grass or dirt, with the broken engine usually under water. The Northern New York library data base has articles from both the loss and then the discovery. The other was an F-106 Delta Dart from Griffis AFB that entered an unrecoverable flat spin in 1978. The pilot was immediately recovered. The plane still lies, almost like a parts diagram, in the woods by Wolf Pond. These are the kinds of stories I’d like to read Ms. Hart. Its really nice that you put your request out to us. By the way, look up stories by Dan Crane, the “Bushwhacking Fool” that were printed in this rag. That’s what I like. Thanks again for caring.

12. mrdale14424 says:

The Whitney Tract.
    Stories of and from our DEC Forest Rangers.

13. JB says:

I am always amazed when my internet searches for anything Adirondack-related take me inadvertently to an old Almanack article, especially any Adirondack-related book search. I particularly like those new book reviews. Also, it is nice to have a place that discusses the pulse of what’s going on in the Park. How was Memorial Day in different places in the Park compared to previous years?…And so on.

Things are changing in the Park over the past few decades. Our idea of what is responsible and what is not is changing. For example, we don’t publicly geotag exact coordinates of remote plane crashes, rare species communities, etc., anymore. Or, for example, you don’t see the same state-funded “I HEART NY” Adirondacks tourism ad spots on TV anymore. Local and state planners are focusing more on building resilient, more sustainable and high capacity infrastructure to accommodate increasing interest in the region (campgrounds, connector trails, monitoring). I have noticed the Explorer/Almanack have likewise shifted towards more stories about overuse, responsibility, environmental issues, etc, and that journalistic integrity keeps me coming back versus some of the other local gazettes out there that refuse to adapt with the times.

14. Todd Eastman says:

Keep on keeping the readers informed about the policy and political news and events that impact Park management, the lives of residents, and the experiences of visitors.

Historical pieces aid in giving readers perspective on current events and the complexity of the Adirondackia…

15. Rose Anne says:

I come for the nature articles, but stay for the history and current topics of discussion in the Adirondacks.
    In the past, I loved the occasional articles by Justin(?) living in an off-grid cabin.

16. Charlie Stehlin says:

Andrew says: “I think you should cater your articles to Zephyr. It appears they believe no one else should have input that doesn’t align with theirs…”

I read different than what you read Andrew. Your on edge evidently! He’s just saying he’s not into hunting, fishing, and trapping. Neither am I! I don’t like to kill or injure any animal. He was being honest! I’m not into veteran stuff myself, it bores me. Any ‘thing’ having to do with war turns me off. I say that not to be an antagonist, but because it is true. Veteran stuff is like sports stuff to me…boring. Books, newspaper stories, history on wars….does not float my boat, which doesn’t imply that veterans have no place, just that we’re all different and if we can just get to that place where we recognize this versus going into polarization mode. I speak out loud as I need to hear this myself!

That said, I would love to see personal journals of hikers, hunters, campers in the Adirondacks, or more of, in case I’ve missed something as I am not always on board. I’ll take it all though generally speaking as it’s all good….else it wouldn’t be out there.

• Zephyr says:

Thanks Charlie. Not sure why Andrew thinks I’m advocating for nobody else having input. Just the opposite. I want everyone to have some input, and to know how and why these decisions were made. Yes, I oppose the parking permit policy as created, but also I don’t see any evidence that major stakeholders were consulted or even knew this was happening until it was done. For example, something impacting the hiking population should consult the Adirondack Mountain Club, which is the largest hiking organization in New York. Yes, I’m that guy who stands up at a city council or school board meeting and asks why something is being done and works to get answers.

17. Charlie Stehlin says:

JB says: “we don’t publicly geotag exact coordinates of rare species communities, etc., anymore. ”

Yes and let’s keep it that way lest they become extinct.

18. Luke says:

I also like the articles about the older guides, hermits, and eccentric characters who were able to sustain themselves in an area with very little economic activity. I enjoy the articles about the great camps, and the families that traveled in to their forest luxuries. Wildlife information can be very interesting, as long as it doesn’t get bogged down in extreme detail. Park history has to be included so that we can all learn how this major attraction came about.
    And concerning the political articles, although many people apparently dislike them, we have to know and understand the driving politics, or else we all become a victim of it.

19. Boreas says:

I would like some investigation into WHY the Port Kent – Burlington ferry has been cancelled again for 2021. Certainly hurts tourism in our area. And why the good ship Adirondack – our namesake – is scheduled to be scrapped is beyond me. If VT doesn’t want a bridge, they should at least be pushed to provide more convenient ferry service, or NYS should take over the route(s).