Tuesday, August 10, 2021

How to Report a Harmful Algal Bloom (HAB)

harmful algal bloom, aka HABDEC’s harmful algal bloom (HABs) notification season has begun. HABs notifications will be updated through the fall using an online reporting and notification system dubbed NYHABS. The system includes an interactive map that shows reports of freshwater HABs, as well as a public reporting system. Instructions on how to use NYHABS are on DEC’s HABs notification page.

Know it:  If you see a HAB, please use the reporting form to submit a report to NYHABS.

Avoid it:  Because waterbodies may have HABs that have not been reported to DEC, we recommend avoiding contact with floating mats, scums and discolored water.

Report it: If you, your family, or pet have been in contact with a HAB, please rinse with clean water and report any symptoms to your local health department.

How to Report a Harmful Algal Bloom (HAB)

Anyone can report a HAB. If you suspect you have seen a HAB, please report it to DEC.

  • Fill out and submit a Suspicious Algal Bloom Report Form . DEC requires your contact  information (email and name) in the form but will not post this information to NYHABS.
  • Submit at least one digital photo of the suspected HAB with the form. Ideally, DEC would like to receive one close-up and one landscape photo to show the extent and location of the bloom.
  • Email HABsInfo@dec.ny.gov if you are not able to complete the form.

Report any health symptoms to NYS Health Department at harmfulalgae@health.ny.govand your local health department.

DEC photo

Related Stories

Information attributed to NYSDEC is taken from press releases and news announcements from New York State's Department of Environmental Conservation.

Comments are closed.

Wait! Before you go:

Catch up on all your Adirondack
news, delivered weekly to your inbox