Wednesday, November 24, 2021

New York Coyote Parasite Survey

coyoteGraduate students at SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (SUNY ESF) are asking for public assistance in the collection of samples as part of a study for an emerging zoonotic parasite. Samples for this study consist of gastrointestinal tracts from coyotes harvested within DEC Regions 3-7, which can be shipped to SUNY ESF where they will be screened for the parasite Echinococcus spp.

The parasite is a tapeworm that typically infects wild canids (foxes, coyotes) but can infect domestic animals as well as humans. The goal of this study is to identify the distribution of the parasite throughout the sampling range, so that areas of high parasite levels and infection risk can be found.

More information on the project can be found at the NY Echinococcus Project webpage or by emailing Corinne Conlon.

Photo by Gregory VanSplunder.

NYS DEC

Information attributed to NYSDEC is taken from press releases and news announcements from New York State's Department of Environmental Conservation.

Tags:

1. Susan says:

How about some of these graduate students get out in the field and shoot some coyotes? They are killing all manner of livestock in Eastern Saint Lawrence County and need to be eradicated.

2. Jeanne says:

Susan, We share the planet ! No need to be despictable! – Jeanne

• Susan says:

When you go out to the pasture and see a favorite ewe, or a helpless lamb, or a 3 month old calf torn to bits and smeared across 30 feet of grassland, then you can weigh back in with experience.

• Susan says:

And besides, where do you think all those coyote GI tracts are going to come from? I don’t think the coyotes will be giving them up philanthropically.

• Dana says:

Manage your own predators and livestock. Don’t ask us to eradicate them for you. Predators fed on grazers long before humans existed. It is what they do. If one is going to raise livestock, protecting them is part of the deal.

I grow plants in my garden and grazers eat them. I put fences around the ones I can and hope the rest don’t get eaten. If they do, I don’t blame the grazers. I don’t like them on my property, but I don’t wish to eradicate them. If I grew plants for a living, I would invest in more and better protection from wildlife.

• JB says:

Domestic dogs and livestock are significant vectors of Echinococcus that will remain even if we “eradicate” wild canids. But I think that probably even the most reckless coyote hunters and trappers do not wish to eradicate them. On the other hand, livestock farmers have eradicated a number of keystone predator species already. I think that we can live with the managed populations of coyotes, foxes and bobcats that remain. If they start seriously talking about artificially reintroducing wolves or lynx (again), I would probably be protesting right alongside the farmers (but for different reasons).

• Susan says:

Just saying, if these graduate students are looking for coyote GI tracts, that maybe it would be a good idea to go where coyotes are known to be a problem and take them in THOSE areas.

3. Charlie Stehlin says:

Dana says: “If one is going to raise livestock, protecting them is part of the deal.”

There’s too much effort in that Dana, it’s easier to be irresponsible. Coyotes are beautiful animals and sure, they like to tear up fawns and whatever they can get their jaws on, but maybe if there wasn’t so much of us humans around and more land and more natural habitats, just maybe, these problems would check themselves. We alter things so that things get out of sync…..and then we blame every ‘thing’ else but ourselves, our habits, our needs, our comforts……..

4. Charlie Stehlin says:

“I don’t like them on my property, but I don’t wish to eradicate them.”

You’re different Dana, in a good way! I know others like you and I sure as heck wish there were more of ya’s out there!