If you are craving something sweet and do not want to wait, this cinnamon roll coffee cake in a mug is for you! I use an 18-ounce mug to make these and will often use whole wheat flour instead of the all-purpose flour. If you do not want the cream cheese frosting, feel free to drizzle maple syrup, add berries, or even ice cream on top. Enjoy!
- 2 Tbsp applesauce
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp buttermilk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 Tbsp packed light-brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 dash ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp (scant) salt
- 1 Recipe Cream Cheese Icing (optional) :
- 1 Tbsp Cream Cheese or Neufchatel Cheese , softened
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp milk
- If wanted, prepare cream cheese icing according to directions and set aside. Combine additional ingredients in a mug and whisk together with a fork.
- Microwave mixture on high power for 1 minute, then check cake for doneness. If not fully cooked, microwave for an additional 15 seconds. Serve warm, topped with icing or perhaps yogurt!
Is “18-ounce mug” a typo? The ingredients only add up to about 8 ounces.
Great question! It isn’t a typo. You can use a smaller mug, but I prefer the larger size, because the batter will expand as it cooks and because I like to dump fruit/yogurt/ice cream on top (and don’t want to make a mess!).