I’ve been camping my whole life, as a kid growing up, with my husband for the past 21 years and now as a family of four for the past five years.
In response to the “why do you love camping?” question, I came up with this list (tailored to car camping in state/DEC campgrounds, although I’ve done my share of backpacking/backcountry camping as well), in no particular order:
10 reasons why I camp
- Hearing owls at night (and loons, frogs and whatever other nocturnal creatures are making noises at night).
- To wake up in the woods (or by a lake or other scenic places)
- For $22 a night, you get a piece of paradise and a chance to explore scenic parts of New York state. (and there are so many campgrounds to choose from, 52 in the Adirondacks and Catskills alone!)
- Night walks with flashlights
- Day walks looking and listening for flora and fauna
- Food tastes better when cooked and eaten outside
- Spending time with friends and family, totally unplugged.
- The ability to do an “Adirondack trifecta” of swimming, kayaking and hiking in the same day.
- Campfires at night (s’mores for the kids and “gl’mores” aka fancy s’mores for mom)
- It’s the only time I have to catch up on reading.