Sunday, November 20, 2022

Discussion time: Your science questions

ask a scientistHi all!

We’ve been running an occasional “Ask a Scientist” column on Adirondack Explorer’s website (click here for the most recent one, on carbon sequestration.) Now I’d love to hear from you. What types of topics would you like to see us cover? Do you have any specific science-related questions we can pass along?

Comment below or email ask@adirondackexplorer.org

Melissa is a journalist with experience as a reporter and editor with the Burlington Free Press, Ithaca Journal and Fairbanks Daily News-Miner. She worked as a communications specialist for the Adirondack North Country Association and is currently digital editor for Adirondack Explorer, overseeing both the Explorer's website and its community forum the Adirondack Almanack. She enjoys hiking, camping and other outdoors activities, and spending time with her husband, their twin daughters, and rescue animals -- two dogs and two cats.

1. louis curth says:

Explorer/Almanack Mission: “Through its news reporting and analysis, the nonprofit Adirondack Explorer furthers the wise stewardship, public enjoyment for all, community vitality, and lasting protection of the Adirondack Park.”

To be sure, we need verifiable science to be an essential part of our Adirondack oriented discussions – all the more so in this era of rampant lies spread without proof, and sinister conspiracies concocted to deceive the unwary.

Perhaps among your list of discussion topics, you might also want to consider including an “Ask an Ethicist” column?

• Bob Meyer says:

Now that’s a great idea!

• JB says:

This is an amazing insight! I’d welcome the addition of a dedicated column that poses such questions to people from a variety of social sciences backgrounds (economics, urban planning, historians, etc). But I also think that ethical questions can and should be posed to scientists. For example: What role do individual scientists see themselves and their research playing the Adirondacks and beyond? How can science communication enhance public discourse around local issues? My experience is that researchers working in the Adirondacks tend to be particularly well-rounded in this regard.

2. JK says:

I found a couple of very old apple trees in partial, equally old former meadows in my second and third growth mature timberland in east central Adirondacks. The area has not been farmed since at least the late 1930s or earlier and is now mixed evergreens with deciduous trees. The trees produce a few withered apples on the south facing side at about 1100 ft altitude. What old variety would have been planted? Also if I experiment with a single tree near my seasonal residence, what hardy variety do you recommend? So, two apple tree questions. Thanks. JK

3. Peter Horvath says:

I’d love to hear more about the status of the Northern long-eared bat being added to the endangered species list. How are they doing and how are the being protected in the ADKs?

4. Smitty says:

Bats in general for that matter. How are they doing in the Adirondacks? I see a few at Tupper Lake on summer evenings, feasting on the abundant mosquitos I presume. But how have they fared with white nose syndrome and has there been any recovery. Further, how do they ever manage such a long hibernation period with few insects to eat?