Friday, November 11th marks the sixth and final Free Fishing Day of the year. Selected to coincide with Veterans Day, it’s a nice way to pay tribute to America’s veterans. Through their service and sacrifice, we continue to have the opportunity to get outdoors and enjoy our state’s great fisheries. So, honor that special veteran in your life and head to your favorite local fishing hole to cast a line on November 11.
Not sure where to go? Visit our Places to Fish webpages or download the HuntFishNY app and tap on the new “Tackle Box” feature to plan your fishing trip.
Ideas for Free Fishing Day:
- Try fishing for the first time;
- Haven’t fished in a while? Remember the joy of catching a fish again – for free;
- Become an ambassador to the sport; take a friend fishing for the first time;
- Invite a friend to New York to fish;
- Take a spouse or significant other fishing; and
- Take the family fishing…and don’t forget the grandparents!
During Free Fishing Days and Weekends, anyone can fish the fresh waters of New York State and no fishing license is required. All other freshwater fishing regulations still apply.
Photo at top: A young fisherman gets a helping hand learning to use a fishing pole. DEC photo.
Leave a Reply