Saturday, December 10, 2022

Website glitches

We’ve heard from some of you that you’ve experienced problems accessing certain stories and comments over the last few days.

We’re working on it and could use your help as we try and isolate the problem. I’ll post updates here as we learn more.

If/when you encounter any issues, please leave a comment here or email me at melissa@adirondackexplorer.org. If you could include which browser(s) you are using and which article is giving you trouble, that would be most helpful. I’m also curious to know if anyone has experienced any problems accessing the site/articles via mobile devices (ie cell phones). Thanks for your understanding!

(Please note I won’t be able to respond to every comment and email over the weekend but rest assured I’m monitoring the situation!)

Melissa is a journalist with experience as a reporter and editor with the Burlington Free Press, Ithaca Journal and Fairbanks Daily News-Miner. She worked as a communications specialist for the Adirondack North Country Association and is currently digital editor for Adirondack Explorer, overseeing both the Explorer's website and its community forum the Adirondack Almanack. She enjoys hiking, camping and other outdoors activities, and spending time with her husband, their twin daughters, and rescue animals -- two dogs and two cats.

1. LeRoy Hogan says:

Sometimes I need to try other browsers too on other sites.

2. Glenn L. Pearsall says:

Having issues on Safari as well. Reverts to your latest article when you click on an older article to continue reading…

3. ADKresident says:

I have found when working that Google Chrome is getting buggy and hangs up a lot now, just like Microsoft Explorer was doing about 12-15 years ago, which made people turn to Firefox , Chrome, DuckDuckGo….

Brave is far less buggy, but has less bells & whistles (since it’s not part of big tech monopoly with fixed algorithms), yet is very reliable.

4. A. J. says:

The issues appear to be when reading your site via news apps, Google News, and non-browser news feeds. You should really update your core website platform as it appears to be very dated and doesn’t use up to date software features that are built into all mobile devices, which account for the majority of all internet traffic.

5. Ryan Finnigan says:

I am using the Chrome browser on my Android phone and cannot access the Dec. 8 article about the trailhead parking incedent.

6. Bill Ott says:

When the “Google Chrome” browser fails for the AA, I go to MS Edge. Nothing else fails for me on “Google Chrome”. AA always works for me Edge. Bring me more beer.

7. Judy Beltz says:

I simply powered down my device (iPad). When I powered it back up I was able to access all the articles just fine. Give it a try!

8. JB says:

Sometimes, clearing cache/cookies actually does not fix the issue, but, after a few minutes, pages will be accessible again. Likely this is a server issue masquerading as a browser issue, possibly caused by a WordPress plug-in or update that is conflicting with the URL rewriting rules (e.g., by modifying your .htaccess file). You can regenerate a clean .htaccess file automatically by going to the “Permalinks” settings page, temporarily changing the setting (i.e., from “Month and Name” to something else), saving settings, and then quickly restoring the setting back to “Month and Name”. It may be worthwhile to then go and save a copy of the new .htaccess file after that point, so that you can go back and check if it has been changed should the issue crop up again. (Then you may be able to track down and disable the plugin that is causing the issue.)

9. Michael Lee Carr says:

I use Chrome on my Android 5G phone and the links have been a bit wonky over the last few weeks. Thanks for recognizing the issue and working for a solution.

10. Habitatman says:

Works well on Firefox now— article and comments would not open a couple of days ago.