Sunday, March 19, 2023

Triploid Grass Carp permit applications available from Herkimer County SWCD

Herkimer County Soil and Water Conservation District logo.

Herkimer County SWCD – If you have a weed problem in your pond, you may want to consider stocking it with Grass Carp. These fish have a tremendous appetite for aquatic vegetation and can be used as a non-chemical agent to control weed growth in ponds, such as hydrilla, milfoil, coontail, elodea, and pondweeds.

The fish that are available for stocking are Triploid Grass Carp, which means they are sterile and cannot produce viable young. This non-native species of fish does not compete with native fish species that you may already have swimming around in your pond. Please note, these fish will not eat species such as cattails, bulrush, or water lilies.

Because Grass Carp are not native to New York and because they have huge appetites, a permit is required from the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYS DEC). The Herkimer County Soil and Water Conservation District (SWCD) starts the permitting process now, with stocking to take place in June 2023. The permitting process conducted by the NYS DEC is free of charge.

If permitted, you will be able to purchase these fish from the Herkimer County Soil and Water Conservation District, an approved Triploid Grass Carp supplier. Those interested in more information, including obtaining a permit application for stocking Grass Carp, are asked to contact the Herkimer County Soil and Water Conservation District at (315) 866-2520, ext. 5 by Monday, May 1. Information is also available by referencing

 Photo at top: Herkimer County Soil and Water Conservation District website photo.

Related Stories

Community news stories come from press releases and other notices from organizations, businesses, state agencies and other groups. Submit your contributions to Almanack Editor Melissa Hart at

2 Responses

  1. SNAPPER PETTA says:

    Be aware…if you have any water exiting your pond that could be considered a “stream,” or seasonal creek, you will be denied a permit. We applied for a permit three years ago and were told we couldn’t have one because our pond had a spillway. According to DEC, any water leaving our pond would go into a small (I can step over it) stream and then wend its way to the Susquehanna River. That possibility was enough to keep us from being able to get a permit.

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Wait! Before you go:

Catch up on all your Adirondack
news, delivered weekly to your inbox