Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Your feedback wanted

your feedback wanted
Feedback time!

I’m hoping to hear from readers such as yourself: How are we doing with the Almanack? What would you like to see more of/less of, as far as content goes? We strive to create a forum where anyone can submit content and commentary, and also want the information to be interesting and useful. Do you find the event notices to be helpful, to stay up on what’s happening in our communities? Do you mainly come here for the comment section and to discuss Adirondack issues?

If you receive our daily email newsletter, do you find a daily email too much to keep up with? Or do you enjoy getting a daily update from us?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts! You can also send me an email to melissa@adirondackexplorer.org

Melissa is a journalist with experience as a reporter and editor with the Burlington Free Press, Ithaca Journal and Fairbanks Daily News-Miner. She worked as a communications specialist for the Adirondack North Country Association and is currently digital editor for Adirondack Explorer, overseeing both the Explorer's website and its community forum the Adirondack Almanack. She enjoys hiking, camping and other outdoors activities, and spending time with her husband, their twin daughters, and rescue animals -- two dogs and two cats.

1. chris cohan says:

FEEDBACK- great! I look forward to opening my laptop in the morning to read your stuff. Thank you!

2. louis curth says:

The fact that you even ask us for feedback is a plus Melissa. It provides a glimmer of hope that we can still exchange ideas, opinions and even debate controversial subjects without rancor here.

To me, that is a positive step toward restoring the feeling of “community” for all of us who, as Aldo Leopold would remind us, cannot live without wild things. So let this forum be a welcoming place to communicate with each other on topics such as history, nature interpretation, and what we need to do to preserve this special region for the betterment of the Adirondacks and its people both now and in the future.

THE MISSION STATEMENT OF THE ADIRONDACK EXPLORER /ALMANACK BEARS REPEATING:
    “The Adirondack Explorer is dedicated to promoting the wise use, public enjoyment and lasting protection of the Adirondack Park. Our reporters dig deeply into the issues on which the future of the park rests—the impact of climate change on our ecosystem, the challenges of keeping our waters clean and our wilderness areas wild, and the health and economic vitality of Adirondack communities. Our recreation stories provide ideas for enjoying this special place with hikes, paddles, skis, fishing and bicycling.”

“The hunger for this news—and reliable facts—is greater than ever.”

3. Steven Frederick says:

I do enjoy the daily updates. I love the Adirondacks both for driving. Would like to see more information on the shorter trails. I try to do one small trail once a week, just went up Baxter for the first time and I want to bring my grandkids on the shorter hikes

4. Carly says:

I’d like to see more passive-recreation news and opportunities. Things like birding, plant discoveries, ADA accessible hiking trail initiatives, photography opportunities, scenic lookouts, good backroads to travel, cross-country ski trails, etc. Tips on where and how to find butterflies and moths and other nature topics. I’d like to see more nature stories and articles from outdoorswomen. Why not run a regular article from Joan Collins for instance? (And I’m sure there are others. )

I’d like to see more coverage in the southern Adks! Or anyplace outside of the high peaks.

I’d like to see an analysis of the effects of logging (which seems to have increased substantially in recent years)… that’s a big one I know.

I’d like to hear more about what the DEC wildlife division does (the “non-consumptive” wildlife management end of things). For instance, I know they have a fisher (the critter) study ongoing, but how would anybody hear about that? What have they learned? Why are they studying them?

I’d like to see an article discussing the noise pollution here. Everything from super loud boats, military exercises (ugh), modified engines and motorcycles, landscaping noise (when did all these camps decide they need lawns?!), floatplanes, overly aggressive highway maintenance, constant fireworks… Do other people notice it? Do they care? Is this a safe place for the PTSD veteran? (Particularly in the backwoods – we’ve had some nighttime military exercises that are unannounced and it breaks my heart for the backpacker, camper, or vacationer who might suffer.)

What does the APA do? Do they do it well? What are the “regulations” everybody complains about? I see stuff going on (like clear cutting lots right to the water, municipal “brush” dumps that are awfully pervasive, ugly and unsupervised (honestly you could do a whole article about those – they’re everywhere), road clearing projects with sand rushing right into streams, logging sites that are left a hideous mess, borrow pits all over the place… And what are the regulations for development? I guess a primer would be helpful for those of us who haven’t followed this stuff forever.

I’d be interested in learning about how the various municipalities here are funded. (They seem to have a lot more money here than at home.) What role does the state play in revenues?

I’d like more analysis on the diversity problems here, and the general resistance to “outsiders.” What can be done about the very unwelcome feeling given to anybody of color or lgbtq. How do we bring everybody into the fold? (My black friends won’t even visit me here!)

Sorry, that’s a lot of stuff, i know. Thanks for the great work you do!

You guys are doing great.

You come here for mostly one side of a story but that is how all outlets are now. You read what you want to read. There is some coverage of “the other side” of a story peppered in but it’s not even, but that is alright.

You gotta court your audience these days just how it works. I try to follow it all by going back and forth and looking at lots of sources which is probably good.

• Thanks Paul! Do you mind sharing what else you like to read? Feel free to send me an email if you want to continue the conversation that way: melissa@adirondackexplorer.org.
      Thanks again!
      As for the point of being “one sided,” we see the Almanack as being the community’s forum so we absolutely welcome all points of view. The challenge is finding people willing to contribute. Feel free to get in touch with any ideas you may have for recruiting new voices.

6. Michael Smith says:

I appreciate the daily articles and read most of them. Some of the commenters are much too verbose though. As editor, you could do us all a favor by editing them. Too long and my eyes just glaze over and I loose interest. I really like the hike, ski, and paddle suggestions.

7. Charlie Stehlin says:

“do us all a favor by editing them. Too long and my eyes just glaze over and I loose interest.”

If the comments bore you don’t read them Michael Smith! And who’s “us all!”

8. For an ‘outsider’ like me who writes novels set in the Adirondacks, one already published and the sequel to come out in the fall, your publication is an invaluable learning tool about all things connected with this national treasure of a region. For an outdoor girl who loves to hike and canoe, the publication provides a way back to the Northwoods when I can’t be there in person. I especially enjoy the columns by naturalists and current and former Rangers, and I must admit the weekly report on Ranger activities in and around the region is fascinating..more stories than I can ever tell!

• Yes, the ranger report is a staple! Thanks for the insights, Janet! And glad to hear the Almanack is useful to you in your personal and professional lives 🙂

9. David Gibson says:

Melissa, you are doing a great job with the Almanack. Yes, I get too much email – too much from the Adk Explorer, to be specific, but not from the Almanack. Keep up the proverbial good work.