Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Lost and disoriented Piercefield hunter, Rock River Trail hiker found

forest ranger reportTown of Indian Lake
Hamilton County
Wilderness Search:
 On Oct. 25 at 2:56 p.m., Forest Ranger Scott responded to a call for a missing hiker. The 54-year-old from Pennfield made a wrong turn on the Rock River Trail. Ranger Scott located the subject at Benton Road and helped her back to her vehicle at the trailhead. Resources were clear by 4 p.m.

Hamlet of Ticonderoga
Essex County
Vehicle Recovery:
 On Oct. 27 at 3:30 p.m., Ray Brook Dispatch called Forest Ranger Quinn about two subjects stranded near Crane Pond. The pair’s SUV got stuck in the water and needed a tow. Ranger Quinn helped find a tow truck operator who could make it to the unmaintained road. The tow truck pulled out the SUV, but the vehicle wouldn’t start. Ranger Quinn provided the stranded subjects a courtesy ride to Schroon Lake.

SUV recovered near Crane Pond

SUV recovered near Crane Pond. NYS DEC photo.

Town of Piercefield
St. Lawrence County
Wilderness Search:
On Oct. 28 at 7:30 p.m., Ray Brook Dispatch received a call through 911 from a subject stating his 71-year-old hunting partner was overdue and not answering his cell phone. Four Forest Rangers responded. At 10:09 p.m., Rangers Baldwin and Praczkajlo found the subject from Tupper Lake [in the town of Piercefield]. The hunter was disoriented after making a wrong turn. Rangers walked the hunter back to the road where he declined further medical evaluation.

Hunter found in the town of Piercefield

Hunter found in the town of Piercefield. NYS DEC photo.

Be sure to properly prepare and plan before entering the backcountry. Visit DEC’s Hike Smart NYAdirondack Backcountry Information, and Catskill Backcountry Information webpages for more information.

If a person needs a Forest Ranger, whether it’s for a search and rescue, to report a wildfire, or to report illegal activity on state lands and easements, they should call 833-NYS-RANGERS. If a person needs urgent assistance, they can call 911. To contact a Forest Ranger for information about a specific location, the DEC website has phone numbers for every Ranger listed.

Related Stories

Information attributed to NYSDEC is taken from press releases and news announcements from New York State's Department of Environmental Conservation.

One Response

  1. Boreas says:

    Wow! Looks like that “road” near Crane Pond needs a little work – starting with that boulder.

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *