Monday, February 12, 2024

Trekking through Rockwood State Forest

Rockwood State Forest sign.

Today, [Saturday, Jan. 27] I joined members of the Alpiners hiking club for a trek through part of the Rockwood State Forest in Fulton County. It was 35 degrees [with zero] precipitation as compared to last Saturday’s 4 degrees!  We were prepared with both snowshoes and microspikes.  Because it has been fairly warm and so rainy, we decided we only needed the spikes and hiking poles. Piper the Wonder Dog and Nikki also joined in the fun.

We were advised to pack a trail lunch, so I had a sandwich and some chocolate bars in my pack. The hike was moderate with a few hills to climb.  I recognized the old fireplace and chimney landmark we used to see when we cross-country skied back when I was in high school.  I [hadn’t] been in these woods for years even though I live nearby.

We ended up hiking close to 2 miles.  We had a little tailgate party in the parking lot with fancy cookies and brownies provided by our thoughtful trip leader. Someone decided we should have lunch at Sam’s Steakhouse in Johnstown, so my poor little sandwich went on a 1.7-mile hike for nothing.

This is a great place to visit [and] there is a long, narrow parking lot. People hike, snowshoe, and cross-country ski here.  In the summer, I see trucks with horse trailers, so people enjoy riding in the Rockwood [State] Forest as well.

Read more about the Rockwood State Forest by visiting this NYS DEC webpage.

Photo at top: Rockwood State Forest sign. Photo by Laura Bellinger.

I am a retired teacher who enjoys the outdoors, especially the Adirondacks. My parents took us camping when we were kids, then we attended 4-H Camp in Speculator (a former CCC camp). As an adult, I served on the Camp board for 8 years. I went to my friend's camp in Bloomingdale (Saranac) for 10 years. We enjoyed cross country skiing, canoeing, fishing, snowshoeing, etc. I still hike, cross country and downhill ski, snowshoe. I bicycle and ride a Harley. I play the organ at a 300 year old church.

1. Mike Augustine says:

I too have not been there in many years. Have done some cross country skiing and trail running there many years ago. It a nice, close, and easily accessible.
    It’s nice to see a contribution by Laura Bellinger!

• laura bellinger says:

OMG, Hi, Mike! I’ve posted a few poems and a few trip reports. This past weekend, I skied at Oak with my mother, then we stayed at Camp Fowler for 2 nights. We drove to Indian Lake Saturday to snowshoe to Pashley Falls, but ended up hiking with microspikes. Back at Camp Fowler, we did go on a snowshoe hike around and over the lake, then my mother wanted to go for a big walk! Phew!

2. Mike Augustine says:

It’s nice to see you and mom are keeping very active! I like to snowshoe but really have just done it locally around home on the state land. I would like to do more in the ADK’s and hunt up there. I gotta start soon before I get too old to do it!
    We must get together sometime and catch up!

3. laura says:

Yes to catching up!

4. Martin Lindsay says:

This is a handy kind of tip – let’s have more as appropriate.

5. Todd R Sherry says:

Some of these outing are very informative and generally helpful. I took the Adirondack Explorer until it got so many advertisements, like Adirondack Life did, but with the trail description was a map or map sketch to help the indenifi the location. Just saying

6. Kathy Dougherty says:

Hi Laura. I enjoyed your article very much! Since Doug and I moved to the Cincinnati suburbs four years ago, we haven’t been “back home” much due to caring for our previous granddaughter while her parents are at work. Your wonderful essay was the next best thing to an actual visit! Please make this a series on Exploring the Adirondack Foothills. No doubt it would be very well received! P.S: Doug says hi!

7. laura bellinger says:

Hi, Kathy! Thank you so much for reading and for your kind words. I didn’t realize you two had moved so far away! “Hi” back to Doug!