Sunday, April 14, 2024

Coyotes Howl Wild

coyote in winter

I know some sportsmen, outdoorsmen & hunters don’t hesitate to shoot on sight every bobcat, coyote, fox, fisher cat & predator they encounter. Some of them without regard to hunting regulations or whether that particular species is in season or out.  While in some ways I can understand & empathize with certain aspects of that sentiment, I’ve simply never been one of those guys.

Whether it be bobcat, fox, fisher, racoon, prowling coyote or the occasional camp bear, I personally feel a great thrill at every up close and personal encounter with nature’s array of furred scavengers and predating wildlife. I quite frequently experience such moments while out hunting, camping, and hiking, sometimes without even knowing it.

I can’t count the number of times I’ve returned from out back on my lands and then sometime later that evening when checking the time-stamped photos from my digital trail cameras, discovered I was within fifty or sixty yards of an unseen fox, coyote, or bobcat.

I fully appreciate the fact that many, if not most, of these predators are actually stalking the same game species that I favor hunting.  I guess for me, that factor is simply part of life’s fleeting moment. Nature’s hard reality can sometimes be cruel. I just know that I, as an outdoorsman & hunter, wish to walk whatever’s left for me of life’s journey in a land where coyotes forever howl wild.

For my coyote story, click the link & read on.

A veteran north country writer & story teller raised in Saranac Lake, Dick enjoys “Living in the Day I Am In”, and then writing about it. A severely speech impaired 3x cancer survivor, his pen is his voice. He shares many of his Adirondack Outlaw adventures & tales here. Read the rest on his blog @ adirondackoutlaw.com.

1. Bruce Coffin says:

Dick
    Absolutely! Kudos. Leave the guns locked in the gun safe.
    Bruce Coffin
    Tupper Lake

• Paul says:

Bruce, did you read what he wrote?

“I quite frequently experience such moments while out hunting, camping, and hiking, sometimes without even knowing it.” – Hunting

You don’t need to keep the guns locked up you just don’t need to shoot everything that moves! Getting out hunting is where lots of us get to have these encounters.

Hunters in fact are often the most likely to see these animals since they are spending long quiet hours in the woods, often sitting and waiting to see wildlife. Most hikers I see are usually on a mission to bag a peak on the mover anyway.

2. Tamsin Kilgannon says:

The rifle leans against the wall
    Listening to the sniffles of the bedded man
    Who listens to the coyotes howl
    as microscopic hunters fell their prey silently
    And realizes he is both predator and prey

Thank you for your starkly loving depictions of the circle of life

3. AdkTracker says:

Coyotes thrive using fission and fusion, so shooting them randomly will actually exacerbate the problem and cause proliferation.
    I suggest reading Coyote America by Dan Flores for an understanding of how the animal operates and how to address any problems Canis latrans may be causing you.

4. Tony Galligani says:

My friend told me once he was deer hunting and saw 2 coyotes chasing a sick deer. He shot the coyotes. I guess he had the instinct in that moment to “play God” but he realized later that it was foolish.

The role that coyotes – like most predators – play in the environment is important. They help keep the deer population healthy and keep rodents in check. Predators perform an important task in nature, unlike hunters who usually shoot only healthy deer and who don’t eliminate rodents or help regulate their population. Hunters who shoot predators on site are exhibiting an ignorance of the nature they profess to love. Hunters need to bring a love and understanding of nature to their sport, not a selective feeling of entitlement.

Well said, Tony.

• AG says:

Very true indeed

• AG says:

That said – coyote can’t control deer population. Though they can keep deer healthy by getting rid of the sick ones. But you need wolves and cougars to control deer. Ironically they also control coyote numbers too.
      NY coyotes have some wolf genes in them – so they are more likely to target deer than coyotes out west…. But still not enough.

5. ADKresident2 says:

Thank your for this. Well said.

6. Non Hunter says:

Everytime I go hiking in the Adirondacks there’s tons of hunters just shooting and killing everything all year long. It’s crazy. Often I have to duck and roll avoiding all the dead animals and bullets. But most of the dead animals I see in Adirondacks are along the northway and back roads. All kinds of birds of prey, fox, rabbits, deer, coyotes, Fischer cats, bobcats, etc. Those dead animals hit by cars don’t though. Only the ones killed by guys we hate count.

“I fully appreciate the fact that many, if not most, of these predators are actually stalking the same game species that I favor hunting.”

I wish the author would stop killing and taking food from predators! Many of them probably starve to death.

7. David Gibson says:

Hats off to Dick Monroe, his father Tom, and to this exchange of comments.