For the safety of all visitors and to reduce the community spread of COVID-19, DEC and State Parks are undertaking steps to reduce public density:
- Closing all playgrounds;
- Limiting access to athletic courts and sporting fields
- Canceling all public programs and events at state parks, lands, forests and facilities until further notice;
- Closing all indoor visitor facilities, such as nature centers, environmental education centers, visitor centers, and historic houses to the public until further notice;
- State Parks has closed all State Parks golf courses;
- DEC is closing access to DEC-controlled fire towers to the public. Trails and the summits to the towers remain open, but the towers themselves present a potential risk with multiple people climbing the stairs, in close quarters, unable to appropriately socially distance, and using the same handrails; and
- Limiting parking. If the parking lot is full, visit a different location to recreate responsibly. For visitor safety and the safety of others, do not park on roadsides and only park in designated parking areas.
- New Yorkers are required to wear masks in public when appropriate social distancing cannot be maintained.