The Tahawus Center has opened a new exhibit on the J. & J. Rogers Company pulp and paper mill dam, Rome Undammed. The exhibition of photographs document the life and recent removal of the J. & J. Rogers Co. pulp and paper mill dam, which spanned the West Branch of the Ausable River, just upstream of Au Sable Forks, for 125 years (1893-2018).
The recently removed Rome Dam, was one of the last visible relics of the J. & J. Rogers Company. Among the largest industries in the Ausable River Valley, the company once owned roughly a third of the watershed » Continue Reading.