A new exhibit at the Newcomb Historical Museum, The Pruyns of Camp Santanoni, focuses on the nearly 13,000 acres of the Santanoni Preserve and the family that founded Great Camp Santanoni on Newcomb Lake.
Begun in 1892 by Albany banker Robert C. Pruyn, and his artistic and wilderness-loving wife Anna Williams Pruyn, the main camp was sufficiently completed for its first official party of family and friends in 1893. In the years that followed, R.C. and Anna hosted many more events, raised a family of four, taught their 10 grandchildren to love the Adirondacks, and relished famous spring fishing parties with 16 guests who often stayed for two weeks. For years the closure of each summer season was marked by an October hunting trip reserved for nine Albany gentlemen who celebrated Robert Pruyn’s birthday. » Continue Reading.