The following are only the most recent notices pertaining to public lands in the Adirondacks. Please check the Adirondack Backcountry webpages for a full list of notices, including seasonal road statuses, rock climbing closures, specific trail conditions, and other pertinent information
NEW THIS WEEK
High Peaks Wilderness:
- Snow Report (04/06): The following report describes conditions as of Thursday, 04/06. Changing weather may affect conditions.
- There is 43.3 inches (3.6 feet) of snow at the Colden Caretaker Cabin and as much as 4 feet at higher elevations. There is considerable unconsolidated snow, especially off trail in wind deposited areas.
- Snowshoes or skis are required to be worn throughout the Eastern High Peaks Wilderness, beginning at approximately 2,000 ft (around the elevation of Marcy Dam). Snowshoes are recommended everywhere in the High Peaks region for safe and efficient travel. Bring microspikes and crampons for traction on ice.
- Avalanche Lake and Lake Colden are unstable and are not safe to cross.
- Be prepared to turn around if conditions prove too difficult to complete your hike.