The Ausable River Association (AsRA), in partnership with the Kayak Shack of Plattsburgh, is hosting a Paddling River Clean-Up Saturday, September 17th in Peru. The clean-up is open to all community members who want to restore and protect the beauty of the Ausable River.
AsRA will be working with the Kayak Shack at their Baggs’ Landing location to remove trash in and along the banks of the Ausable River from Carpenter’s Flats to the mouth at Lake Champlain.
Last year, volunteers removed thirteen bags of trash, large pieces of scrap metal, and over 200 tires from the river and its banks. » Continue Reading.
TAUNY, Traditional Arts in Upstate New York, has invited the community to a guided paddle and brewery outing in Tupper Lake, on Saturday September 16 from 7 am to 4 pm.
The day will start at The TAUNY Center where a bus will take participants to Tupper Lake for a morning paddle and then lunch at the Raquette River Brewing Company. The group will return to The TAUNY Center after lunch. » Continue Reading.
The 35th Annual Adirondack Canoe Classic, the 3-day, 90-mile paddling event from Old Forge to Saranac Lake, will take place September 8 – 10, 2017. Hosted by the Adirondack Watershed Alliance (AWA), the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation and the Central Adirondack Association, the 90-Miler will again attract a full contingent of solo, tandem, 4 person and 8 person Voyageur canoes, solo and tandem kayaks and one and two person guide boats. More than 600 people, from 22 different states, are expected to participate. » Continue Reading.
The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) has announced that several restricted Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs) will be opened to the public in Jefferson and St. Lawrence counties from Saturday, August 12, through Sunday, August 27, 2017.
Portions of these WMAs are marked as “Refuge” or “Wetlands Restricted Area” to allow waterfowl and other listed species to breed and raise young without interference from people. » Continue Reading.
For the third year, the Blue Mountain Lake Association will be hosting racers of the BluMouLA BuFuRa along the beautiful shores of Blue Mountain, Eagle, and Utowama lakes. This community event pulls together paddlers of all levels and abilities for three races of various lengths. The 14-mile, 7-mile, and a 1.5-mile courses direct participants throughout the bays and channels of the three bodies of water.
According to Blue Mountain Lake Association Race Organizer Andy Coney, the race is open to any canoes, kayaks, guideboats, SUPS and shells. There has even been a war canoe in past events. Registration begins at the Blue Mountain Fire Station on July 30 between 8:30- 10 am with a mass 10:30 am start across the street, at the Blue Mountain Lake town beach. » Continue Reading.
One of the greatest landscape photographers during the latter half of the Nineteenth Century was William Henry Jackson (April 4, 1843 – June 30, 1942). A native son of the Adirondacks Jackson was born in Keeseville, New York to George Jackson and Harriet Allen. Harriet was a talented water-colorist and William inherited her artistic flair. His first job as an artist in 1858 was a re-toucher for a photography studio in Troy New York.
In 1866 after serving in the Civil War, Jackson boarded a Union Pacific train to the end of the line in Omaha, Nebraska. There he entered the photography business. The Union Pacific gave him a commission in 1869 to document the scenery along their routes for promotional purposes. It was this work that was discovered by Ferdinand Hayden who invited Jackson on the 1870 U.S. government survey (predecessor of the U.S. Geologic Survey) of the Yellowstone River and Rocky Mountains. He was also on the 1871 Hayden Geologic Survey which led to the creation of Yellowstone as America’s first National Park. It was Jackson’s images that played an important role in convincing Congress to establish the Park in 1872. » Continue Reading.
Repairs and rehabilitation work on the Lower Locks in the Saranac Chain have been completed and the locks will be open for use on July 1.
Improvements included rehabilitating the fill and release doors and the wicket (main) doors, including replacing all seals and bearings; completely replacing the hydraulic system including hydraulic arms, lines and operating system; repairing concrete walls; replacing and re-equipping the Locks Operator Shed; and replacing all tie downs, ropes, and other equipment. » Continue Reading.
The Adirondack Almanack's contributors include veteran local writers, historians, naturalists, and outdoor enthusiasts from around the Adirondack region. The Almanack is the online news journal of Adirondack Explorer. Both are nonprofits supported by contributors, readers, and advertisers, and devoted to exploring, protecting, and unifying the Adirondack Park.
General inquiries about the Adirondack Almanack should be directed to Almanack founder and editor John Warren.
To advertise on the Adirondack Almanack, or to receive information on rates and design, please click here.